Where is the Best World Diving for Ceph Encounters?

Tamara

Blue Ring
Registered
If you were planning a dive trip anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
Where do you think you'd have the best ceph encounters?

Tamara,
May I change your title slightly to "Where is the Best World Diving for Ceph Encounters"? There are four staff members I am hoping will answer but the title may not grab their attention and I want to see their answers :wink:

Lembeh Strait in Sulawesi almost all muck diving. Good stuff. Flamboyants, S. latimanus, mimic's, wunderpus. Yummy.
Tawali in PNG is a great mix of reef and muck. Also good stuff, no flamboyants.

Hi Tamara,

I love diving with giant Pacific octopus so I would say the Pacific Northwest of the USA and Canada. If cold water isn't your thing, then diving with giant cuttlefish in Australia can't be too bad.

Greg

Hey sorry for not replying the holidays got pretty hectic, but were great fun!
I'd love if you changed the title for the thread.

Greg- I'm oringanlly from Vancouver, Canada, so I've been pretty spoilt with GPO dives, when I first started to dive there was a lovely den at a place called Port Eau Cove that I would visit everyweek. I'm in Canada for the next 3 months so I'll definitely be hunting around that area to get some of those in, if you're in the area and need a dive buddy let me know I don't know many divers here anymore.

Lembeh Straits is my favourite dive destination! I had some really great encounters there but never managed to find the wonderpus. Our guide was worried that "his" wonderpus had been collected, because we dived that area to look for it a few times and couldn't find it. I'd always thought cephs were pretty cool but Lembeh really cemented them as my favourite thing to see.

I haven't heard much about Tawali, I'll have to look into it- thanks.

Indonesia (includes Lembeh Strait in Sulawesi), off Thailand and off Bonaire are some of my best ceph dives. I've also had some great ceph experiences in Florida and Hawaii.

I'd like to try the Philippians, PNG and S. Australia (giant cuttles) someday.

The cuttlefish eggs photos were taken in Koh Lanta, Thailand just off the beach. Next year when I'm in thailand I'll have to convince everyone we want to go to phi phi don, we dive Koh Bida often, it's not much farther.

I was in Anilao, Phillipines this year, I saw a few different octos at a site called twin rocks (probably because that's where I was doing sunset dives). Just after I left a friend managed to find a, erm, sorry forget it's real name -the blue ring octopus that only has one spot below it's eye. They used to see flamboyants fairly often at manit muck, but that whole site has been a bit slow since a resort put up a retaining wall. I think Anilao was fairly good for variety.

I looked at tawali, it looks amazing it's definitely now on my list of places to go lthough I don't think I can afford it this year. I'll be diving in the Vancouver Canada area this weekend so my fingers are crossed for GPO!

Were you thinking of anywhere specifically in Indonesia? AirAsia used to have really cheap flights to Manado, but they've cancelled them, so it's harder to get to Lembeh now.

I went with Two Fish Divers in Indonesia. And literally stayed in a grass hut on an island for something like $15/day including food. Divign was more but affordable - snorkeling right off the island was also amazing. Life is great when one of your few concerns is coordinating the few hours the power is on with recharging your batteries. . . I understand that Two Fish has upgraded since I was there - they run a tight ship - I hope to return.

In Thailand we rented a 43 ft catamaran with supporting captain and crew for about $100/day per person. Unlimited dives.

What island is Two Fish Divers on? I like to be in places with limited electricity- it means my buddy can't spend the whole trip editing. Hopefully they don't have the generators running 24/7 yet!

How many people were on board in Thailand? I have a good friend running a dive shop there so when it's quiet we can take the boat out at cost but we normally go to Koh Haa because it's closer than Koh phi phi, but if there is a better chance of cephs over there I can spend an extra hour on the boat, they also have a better chance of leopard sharks.

Hey Guys, I asked a mod before necro'ing this thread and was granted permission soooo
*mana from the gods*
Would love to hear more about people's latest thoughts on these? I am looking to book a trip 2020 potentially to PNG (I like to see animals as if i had a pokedex and the tree-kangaroo's are definitely up there!) - but I also had my first encounter in Ibiza last summer seeing an octopus for the first time in the wild. I went back so many times after but they were just not there again. It was one of the most mesmerizing experiences of my life, needless to say, I'd love to see some more now!

Please share your thoughts about best places to see Cephs today, if you would,

thanks

These suggestions are all wonderful; HOWEVER, I just finished my SCUBA refresher (the instructor said he was “pleasantly surprised” as he didn’t know what to expect from a nearly 69-year-old geezer who hadn’t strapped on a tank in 21 years!) and I can’t afford to go jetting all over the globe.
I live in Dallas and understand the Gulf of Mexico is pretty mucky and unappealing. What spots closer to home might be rewarding for octopus sightings? Cozumel? Prices to get there look great.
I don’t mind diving at night.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back