Where can I find fossils in Southern California?

I live in San Diego, and I've kept cephs, and been on Tonmo, for years. My five year old really wants dad to take him out to find some fossils (ceph or otherwise). I think he expects to find a complete T-Rex skelleton, but I'm sure he'd be tickled to find anything. We can range as far notrh as Santa Barbara, and as far east as Phoenix AZ. I know there are fossilized coral reefs near El Centro (Imperial county - East of me) with some shells, but it would be great to find an ammonite, or fish skelleton. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (A little "How" in addition to the "where" would also be great)

Thanks!

I can't help you, but if you were to look Architeuthoceras & pr0teasUnbound in any of the fossil threads, I'm SURE they could help you out. They've got a few active threads going right now; click on the "what's new" button, & scroll down. Good luck!

I'm sorry, man...I thought I was responded to someone new; you've been here WAY longer than me! It's been a long day without my glasses on...

Be sure and check out the laws for California, the laws vary from state to state concerning public lands. Private property is an option also, but always get permission.

I have yet to go Fossicking (new word I picked up in AU :biggrin2:) for anything more than garnets during a trip to Ruby Mountain (over 30 years ago) but hope to try again to meet up with Terri THIS spring. I propose that she and Kevin (and anyone else that has suggestions) create a thread to give tips and tricks for beginners as to what to look for to know a fossil from a rock! Beginners book references would be nice but just some simple pointers (photos very helpful) for a new weekend hunter would be great.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back