• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where can I find an Octopus for sale either online or in Southern California?

Try regular table shrimp. Buy the raw with the shell ON. Slice a piece (retaining the shell) a little larger than the krill he ate (be sure to thaw to tank temperature - maybe 5 minutes in tank water). If he takes this, then it can be a primary part of his diet but you will want to alter with other foods, preferably twice a week. We typically alter between blue crab claw and shrimp with occasional, live clam, live fiddler or crawfish (depending on the season either just the frozen tail or a live animal - must be watched as they don't live long in SW but they are usually captured and eaten before showing obvious stress).

I don't drip anything (not fond of the method) but do take about 3 hours. Thales feels that less time is better so you will see varying opinions. My standing thought on how successful the transition is takes two weeks. If the animal is still alive on day 14 you have a good shot at full natural lifespan (all things being properly kept). Eating is a good sign but I never breath comfortably until day 15.

Can't tell much from the picture but you can look at a few things that might start the ID process. When not white, what color are the rings at the tip of the suckers? Do you see any distinguishing markings that are visible most of the time (particularly a target looking circle below the eye on each side). When it shows a spiky pattern are the spikes solid or do they look like little branching trees? When frightened, what color does it turn (expect bright white or deep chocolate brown). Pay particularly close attention when he eats as I notice they seem to show markings often when they first take their food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back