Where and who to buy a S. Bandensis from?

First post ever! I am very interested in keeping a Bandensis cuttlefish. I am an experniced Reef Aquarist and have had great success with delicate, "non-able" to keep specimans such as crinoids and carnation corals. I just want to know where I can find a a Bandensis cuttlefish before i go out and buy a tank and start cycling it.

Thank You!

:welcome: to TONMO!

The main place to look for info on this is the "Cuttlefish Availability" thread-- availability seems pretty variable, I suspect that there is a seasonal component to when eggs are collected. A lot of TONMO members have been fairly successful raising these animals from eggs, although it requires a lot of "change the food as the cuttle grows" work... take a look around at some of the threads... in the past few years, Cuttlegirl, Thales, Paradox, Dwhatley, DHyslop, and probably a few others I'm forgetting have raised bandensis, and I think Shipposhack, Paradox, and Thales have some now, I believe. Usually, though, people have to keep cycled and ready tanks and then start keeping an eye out for when importers get a glut of eggs... alternatively, you could wait to see if TONMO members have tank-raised eggs, since Cuttlegirl had more than she could handle last year (search for "Baby A") but that's even less predictable than the importers.

If you haven't yet, make sure to read Thales' article on bandensis in the ceph care section under the ARTICLES tab at the top of the page... you'll probably find other interesting info in the ceph care articles, since much of the octopus information applies to cuttles as well.

Welcome Ronin, Looks like your background makes you a well equipped for the trials of keeping cuttlefish! As Monty said, it is a good idea to setup a tank and have it matured and ready prior to purchasing one. This includes having tanks or sections that can hold live foods, nursery areas to raise eggs/hatchlings and juveniles. Bandensis are a seasonal thing and the wait may be long and discouraging, but eggs have consistently become available every year. Each year availability seems to increase.

Be sure you know what your getting into in terms of cost and care by reading up on all the articals and related posts here.

My last contacts for cuttlefish are the following. Im unsure if they are still available for it may be nearing the end of the season, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Aquatropics is in gainesville FL. 352 336 6303 Ask for munna.

Also, Wai from Seacrop. You can contact him at [email protected]

Thank you both very much, It is okay if there isn't any in stock right now because i need to cycle a tank first and that will give me plenty of time to allow it to mature nicely. I am very excited to venture into the world of cephlopods.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back