• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Whats wrong with my octo

I think he's dieing because he's sitting at the top of the tank and I've tried a lot of stuff to make him move and he's not budging and when I looked at his arm it looks like its decaying he's barely even holding on to the glass...

Sorry.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but please research to the fullest before making any impulse puchase when it comes to any animal, Octopus or not. It will make for a much happier experience.

Again, I'm really really sorry.

I suspect your on the younger side. If so getting into the hobby can be a bit difficult but its defiantly worth it and if you put the time and determination into it you'll have a very positive experience with octopus and aquariums for years to come.

sorry to hear it. :angelpus:

I didn't want to distract you from immediate solutions when there was still a chance to save the octo, but if you're going to set up for another one, a very good thing to do is read over all of the articles in the "ceph care" section-- click on the "ARTICLES" at the top navigation bar. There are instructions for everything your should have set up before you get an octopus. Of course, it's also helpful to ask here if you've gotten everything right, or if you have any questions, but the articles are the "distilled wisdom" of TONMO, for the most part. It's really unfortunate that a lot of people only find this site when there's already a crisis going on. We've talked about making a pamphlet or something to offer local fish stores to refer people considering getting an octopus so they can make sure they've got everything.

I'm sure none of this is much consolation right now, though, I'm sorry to hear it turned out this way.

thank you so much everyone I actually have been on this website way before I got the octopus because I wanted to see what I needed to do for a bimac but then the pet store got a pygmy in and bimacs need a big tank so I just got the pygmy but it sucks that this had to happen

Sorry for your experience.

Two things you're really going to need before you keep an octopus,

1) Patience :biggrin2: no really........it takes a long time to get the tank set up and properly cycled (min 3 months). I assume your Mum has fish or corals or the like, you need to be aware that an octopus produces far MORE waste than a similar sized fish, so you need to be really sure that your tank is completely stable.

2) Money!!!! These are expensive beasts! They eat a lot and they often prefer live prey (although some can be trained to eat frozen shrimps etc) don't be tempted to feed them freshwater fish or crustaceans (except perhaps occasionally as a treat, much like we should eat candy.....and for the same reasons........not enough nutrition in it!) So you will need a stock of marine shrimps, crabs, snails etc.

Good luck with your next endeavour!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back