• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what to eat?

octomatic

GPO
Registered
hello everyone, Im new to the forums but have read lots of info on your site. (great site btw) anyway im looking into getting a octo and setting up my tank. I guess my question is......since i live in seattle and so close to the ocean, can i feed my octo small crabs found on the beach? or other creatures in tidepools etc?

Yep! Just check the local regulations on collecting before you do it. :biggrin2: Depending on the animal you are feeding, removal of claws may be appropriate.

Welcome!

There is one caveat, however. Many coastal habitats are contaminated by heavy metals and other pollutants. Through bioaccumulation these can reach dangerous concentrations in prey given to octopus. Several years ago I was having trouble keeping stomatopods and we eventually traced the problem to crabs and snails I was getting from the Berkeley Marina. If I remember correctly, the Seattle Aquarium had a similar problem with their GPO's.

Roy

hey also could i grab rock in the water a few feet out from the shore....isnt that live rock? that would save some moolah!

In most places (I am only aware of FL but believe it this is true along all of our coast) it is illegal to remove the rock even for personal use. The West coast has stronger conservation rules than the East. Like your aquarium, the ocean uses the substrate for cleaning and housing the animals that live there. Even moving it about while hunting food critters is disruptive, should be done with care and replaced as found.

yeah i just checked my local laws and it is illegal to move or take anything from the water without a permit.....the only way to get a permit is to be a marine biologist or a scientist. or face jail time and a huge fine. so ill stick to paying for foods and live rock!

You can probably get legal crabs. Check the personal fishing rules. You may only need a fishing license for what you want for food but you will have to find out what you can and cannot take with each license.

DWhatley;171477 said:
In most places (I am only aware of FL but believe it this is true along all of our coast) it is illegal to remove the rock even for personal use. The West coast has stronger conservation rules than the East. Like your aquarium, the ocean uses the substrate for cleaning and housing the animals that live there. Even moving it about while hunting food critters is disruptive, should be done with care and replaced as found.

How about this? Purchase your own inert rock, leave it in the sea for as long as you like, collect at your leisure full of useful critters. Check carefully for any unwanted hitchhikers and leave it in quarantine for a spell to make sure you are happy with it.

What would be the legality of that in your part of the world?

Not likely to be legal. Proving you put the rock in the water would be difficult and the LR farms have to be 3 miles off shore and in areas where there are not reef structures.

yeah, ill check with getting a crabbing license if i can just pick up crabs in tidepools and stuff....its a bummer, it would be fun to go the the beach looking for octopus food. plus my wife would love going to the beach too!! anyone in washington know about the legality of this?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back