What to do if Bitten by a Blue Ring?

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
So while calling a 100 different sorta-local fish stores about octopuses, I had two places mention blue ring octos (yikes). So I looked up what to do if bitten by one (just for interest) and all I can find is that you are supposed to put pressure on the wound and be ready for artificial breathing. I know that there is no cure as of yet and that the toxin paralyzes while not stopping the heart beat, but is there any other thing you can do before medics get there? Would cutting the wound right away stop some of the venom? Or maybe apply a tourniquet?

No, a tourniquet could starve the limb of oxygen so much that later amputation might be in order, so; mouth to mouth until the ambulance arrives. Best advice, don't get into the blue ring business in the first place. They should not, I repeat, NOT, be kept as pets.

What to do if Bitten by a Blue Ring?

Dont worry I would never buy a blue ring, I was just wondering what to do if someone did. Just seems like a good thing to know!

Stupid for LFS to sell them in the first place and NO ONE should EVER have one as a pet.

Yes that's what got me thinking: what I would do if I went there to get an octo and someone got bit by a blue ring. And I realized I wouldn't know what to do, so henceforth the thread!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back