• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what tank sould i purchase

mikeg

Cuttlefish
Registered
i am going to set up up a tank for another octo
just wondering if any one has any suggestions on what kind of set up
i was thinking a 12 gal jbj
i have my dwarf octo curently in my 75 (what a bad choice that was)

I'm not too sure on what kind of tank is preferred for dwarfs, but just with my general knowledge I believe the tank should at least be 30g or more to provide a substantial amount of room and such. also there is no going wrong with more water because that leaves room for error (e.g. he inks so there is more water to distribute it too) and so forth.

Mike,

Have you finally located him?:fingerscrossed:

I think a 12 is too small. Wiley (who will be 13 months old on the 17th) is in a 15 hex with a skelter skimmer/filter and I do 5 gallon water changes weekly. The nanos don't provide much opportunity for gas exchange (ie oxygen in the water is a concern), the filtration is minimal, a portion of that 12 gallon capacity is in the sump and you would need to change out half the water at at time just to attempt to keep it clean. If you are set on a nano, consider the 24 gallon version and add a large air stone (we use the 12" stone in the back of ours just for the small mantis). You will still need to do weekly water changes but the percentage of new to old won't be as dangerous.

no i have not located him but i want to purchase another one
i was actually looking at a used 30 gal this morning online
maybe i will just do that
i have an extra skimmer laying around anyways
any recommendations on the next octo i should buy?
i dont think i want a dwarf this time

cuttlegirl;129872 said:
If you don't a dwarf, you should start looking at a 55 gallon. You (and the LFS) do not always know what kind of octopus you are purchasing. You want to make sure it has enough space to grow.

Cuttlegirl beat me to the same comment. If you want a diurnal octo or at least not a dwarf, your current tank is a great size but it will have to be octo-proofed.

I am a Hummelincki fan but the aculeatus has me thinking about trying one and the briareus would be fine in the 75 (major octoproofing for this guy though).

There are current journals for all three and you might spend some time reading about their differences to see what appeals to you the most.

On the top banner page, click on FORUMS. Under the first heading (Cephalopod Care) you will see a link entitled Journals and Photos. Scan the entries whos titles contain the names of the different species. The originator of the journal will be directly under the title. You should see two of mine with Hummelincki in the title (Reef_Chef and cor314 also have recent hummelincki posts), one by Animal_Mother for Kalypso (briareus) and several aculeatus.

hey i have tried looking for this but i cannot find them
i dont think its their any more
but i am probably looking in the wrong place

now how big do the briareus and Hummelincki get
also are all octos nocturanl
if so are some more than others
also which of the two have a longer life span

mikeg;129982 said:
now how big do the briareus and Hummelincki get
also are all octos nocturanl
if so are some more than others
also which of the two have a longer life span

I believe those two can be trained to be diurnal or crepuscular (feed at twilight). I could be wrong, I am by no means an expert. I would suggest adamantly reading the forums for information, there's tons of good info!

From what I've read they can be 3" mantle with 18" tentacles, sometimes bigger or smaller. I've seen that 55g is the suggested minimum tank size for either of those species.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back