What species of Cuttlefish have white eggs????

I got a call today from my local fish store stating they got 2 white cuttlefish eggs. I went down asap to pick it up hoping that it may be a flamboyant egg. Unfortunately I was unable to get both, since they promised one to another costumer.

So far its a little larger then a Bandensis egg. I can see the embryo and a large yolk, so it will still have some time until hatching.

Does anyone know what other species may have white eggs?

Pictures soon.

whiteEgg.jpg

Im still hoping it may be a flamboyant.. I guess we will see in a couple weeks.

You can see in this picture that the yolk is still rather large. The bottom heart shaped bulb is the yolk and the nub on top is the embryo.

This site gave a decent description (as well as where they are found - just about anywhere except here) of the S. latimanus that might help identify it later. It also mentioned this about the eggs, " The eggs harden after they are layed, which makes them difficult for predators to extract from the coral."

Ok, after a couple weeks of development, Im pretty sure it is S. latimanus! The egg size is more then 2x the size of Bandensis eggs, the baby with plenty of yolk left is 3-4x times the size of bandensis hatchlings and its still not hatched yet! I will take care of this one until it outgrows my available space, which shouldnt be long. Rich will probably then take him to throw in a 150 gallon system and when it outgrows that, we will need to hope the academy of science will take him!

3123578588_fde9a5a68c.jpg

Here is a size comparison. The bandensis on the right is 1 weeks old which is already 2x the size of freshly hatched bandensis!

3123578562_acce66242e.jpg

Here you can see the cuttle on its side with the remaining yolk still attached.

3122752565_4b380e8045.jpg

Here is an egg size comparison between the Latimanus and Bandensis
3122752505_bc31392b8e.jpg

So for a week and a half I was able to watch this guy inside his egg. He appeared fully developed and I could not see a yolk. I started to become concerned that he was unable to escape from the egg, which is much tougher then bandensis eggs. He was already responding to its environment and even following shrimps around. One day I saw him hovering in the egg in a manner that resembles how a baby bandensis would look if it was starving to death. So I decided to break the egg and release the baby. So far, a week later he seems healthy and has been eating live mysids.

I put a short video together. Im still not positive on the ID for this guy, but the egg had a diameter of 1.25 - 1.5 inches and the cuttle itself was about 1/2". The egg was surprisingly strong requiring a decent pinch and tear to open.

Here is a link to the video.

MysteryCuttle3.png

MysteryCuttle4.png

MysteryCuttle2.png

MysteryCuttle1.png

Is he a different white from the bandensis? He seems to be a brighter white but that could be the video (I noted the brissle looked purple). The arms seem different too (I know the egg was not bandensis but I have not seen any other babies in person or in pictures). Be sure to post more often :hmm: now that he is out so we know how he is doing (and growing).

On one of the science posts (maybe one from octobot) there was a study that showed cuttles (I don't remember what species they used) could learn to identify food and would have a preference for what they saw while in the egg. I wonder if keeping shrimp in a hatching tank would help to get the bandensis eating faster (or do their eggs stay opaque until they hatch?)

See Tony, I am not the only one who can't remember which link works :mrgreen:

The white can look translucent and is his main color. Its similar to a Bandensis white. However, he is in a container void of substrate and I have noticed with Bandensis at least that No-Substrate often equates to a constant white resting state while a miracle mud substrate tends to cause them to be brown/red. I have seen him range from white to a slight brown and as you can see in some of the pictures, it sometimes shows a dotted pattern on its arms.

I recall the article about eggs and foods. I kept that in mind with this egg and my recent batch of bandensis eggs. With the bandensis, I didnt notice any difference, but mysids have always been the easiest food for new borns. When I became concerned that the mystery cuttle was having trouble hatching, I continued to add live shrimps in his container for a week until I was able to notice him react to one. With bandensis, there is a period of a few days to a week where it will still not be interested in food. Im guessing that this is due to there being a small amount of yolk left and/or that it will not get hungry enough to care about looking for food. Once the mystery cuttle started following shrimps around within its egg, it was confirming that he should hatch. After a week, I broke him out. Not sure if that was premature, but he seems fine!

The two outer arms have much larger webbing then bandensis and does resemble some images of Latimanus. He is about the size a larger 1 month old bandensis.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back