• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what species is this?

Good luck with him. I would also give any thing for a young hummi, but i am not really sure where to get one. I know D got maya from the diver den at live aquaria, but thats the only place that i know have them. Also saltwater fish have them but they usually come sick and die. I think the main spot where people got there hummies was reef scavengers. They dont sell them any more and they were healthy most of the time. So if any one else knows where to get them then i think tom and i would like to know.

I assume you have a cover, it is the turn your back or forget to close the lid that is so important when they start senescing. I was doing extra water changes when Octane started into senescence, got distracted by company and left the lid open (he was sleeping while I was doing the water change). He had escaped the tank once before by climbing out on one side while I was cleaning the other and had climbed the lid several times during cleaning. Until he started into senescence he had never given an indication of wanting to exit the tank. You can find his journal in the list of our octopuses 2008 for more info.

dwhatley;146461 said:
I assume you have a cover, it is the turn your back or forget to close the lid that is so important when they start senescing. I was doing extra water changes when Octane started into senescence, got distracted by company and left the lid open (he was sleeping while I was doing the water change). He had escaped the tank once before by climbing out on one side while I was cleaning the other and had climbed the lid several times during cleaning. Until he started into senescence he had never given an indication of wanting to exit the tank. You can find his journal in the list of our octopuses 2008 for more info.

so if and when they escape they just sort of climb out, plop onto the carpet and die? or do they go back ?

You pick them up and put them back in the tank. If you are present during the escape and just return them it there is not much concern. One bimac would climb out regularly without harm but the keeper was always present and controlled the mischeif. Most can survive for a short time (from some of the reports it appears the larger the species the longer it can stay out of water but actual times are not known). Keeping them moist is a known issue so if there is a fan on in the room (as with Octane. I don't know how long he was out of the tank. He did not die that day and might have survived if he had been younger but his skin was badly effected and he started to eat his arms). You can count on it NOT crawling back in on its own. There are numberous documented stories of octos leaving their tanks, invading neighnboring food sources and returning but there are many more reports of finding dried octos behind their tanks.

And die as a general rule of thumb when out of their tank, so, no encouraging :wink:

You'll find the occasional octopus crawling out of their tidepool to the next, but that's about as far as they'll go in their natural state. There's a series of photos of an Enteroctopus doing just that somewhere on the web, that I'll look up...

This is an octopus spotted foraging as much as a meter away from its tidal pool in search of food...

Octopus_walking_md.jpg

Picture taken on one of the Galapagos Islands by a Stern photographer called Tom...

well good news

my octopus' eye is down, both of them are the same size now and i stopped treating him with the anti biotics

he doesnt seem to eat as much as when i first got him, maybe he was just starving but he still eats an emerald crab every other day and will still take shrimp from my hand.

hes not as crazy as he was when i first got him but still very interactive and seems to be doing great

also i noticed that this guy doesnt stink up/dirty up the tank as much as my briarus did... i was cleaning up octopoop every day with him in there..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back