• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What size tank for dwarf cuttles

I was thinking a taller tank is better for them but I just picked up Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium and it suggests a longer wider tank.

I will keep as many as the tank is suited for. I have 25 babies right now but won't overstock the tank.

I want to get my tank next week. Already have lots of live rock curing, return pump and all that. Just need a skimmer, tank and lights.

I was thinking 36x24x30 which is 112 gallons, but seeing as this is a custom tank its a little expensive. Would a standard 90 be better? I don't really want to go any bigger and prefer a 3 foot tank to a 4 foot tank due to space constraints but obviously I want what will be best for the cuttles.

for bandensis, a 36 inch (probably a 40 breeder or 60 gallon) would be fine the 40 for a pair, maybe 3, for a 60, 3-5 should be good. I personally have a 75 (48 inch) and plan on keeping around 6, maybe push it to 8, but probably not, we'll see. A 55 (48 inch) would probably be similar to the 60, 3-5.

But taller or wider?

As I mentioned the tank I was thinking of having made would have a water volume of 112 gallons but its far from the standard 5 foot 112 gallon tank.

Wider for cuttles. Everything you read in that book is true and should be followed... It was written by people on this forum. You mentioned you wouldn't want to spend the extra money if you didn't have to or something along those lines, and you really don't need to. Standard tank sizes are perfect for cuttles... no need to do anything special.

Most standard size tanks are only 18" wide.

Still kinda thinking about the custom tank as it would be a bit of a different look for some very different creatures. Will they utilize the 30" height if its there for them?

I've never personally had cuttles so I'm only working from my observations of cuttles and what I've read, as well as reasoning from what I know of the habits of cuttles. It's not that they're only 18 inches wide, it's that they're long. For example, it would be better to have a tank that's 48 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 21 inches tall (a standard 75), than it would to have a tank that's 36 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 30 inches tall. As long as you build up your rock pretty high, the cuttles will probably utilize the 30 inches. However, from the little experience I have dealing with officinales, I know that at least they prefer to disguise with the sand and lay on the sand bed, etc. I believe the bandensis tend to hang out in the rocks a little more, but unlike nautiluses, cuttles tend to go more side to side than up and down. This means height really isn't an issue and you don't really need to worry about building height. I think the dimensions listed in your first post are pretty good if you build the rockwork up, but I personally would just go with a standard tank if I were worried about the money. I would even go 36*36 base and then 24, 21, or 18 inches tall just because they'll probably utilize the extra ground space more than they would the extra height....

just my 2 cents.

A cautionary note on a 30" high tank. I have a relatively long arm span for a female and find that anything over 24" (don't forget hood height if you have to go over the hood) is a real challenge to clean every week, not to mention the placement and replacement of anything in the tank. I have a 36" reef that looks great but cleaning it and retrieving urchin displaced items is a constant dread.

dwhatley;138650 said:
A cautionary note on a 30" high tank. I have a relatively long arm span for a female and find that anything over 24" (don't forget hood height if you have to go over the hood) is a real challenge to clean every week, not to mention the placement and replacement of anything in the tank. I have a 36" reef that looks great but cleaning it and retrieving urchin displaced items is a constant dread.

I do know this but thanks, Seeing as this won't be a full blown reef I plan on keeping my hands out for the most part.

Still undecided but will make a choice by my self imposed deadline of next week :smile:

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back