• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What PH should my...

I thought that too so I have also used my PH test kit and it confirms my findings.

a side note: the meter did come with an accuracy guarantee of +- 0.1 PH which should be more than adequate. I also have calibrated it like it says to with PH 6.86 standard buffer solution of phosphate, and then tested it in a PH 4.01 standard buffer solution of borax. It required an initial adjustment but has held the calibration since.

Did you calibrate with 7 and 10 or 4 and 10?
Which pH test kit?

Are you noticing problems with your animals?

Here is some more info on the aeration test (from Randy Holmes Farley):

The Aeration Test

Some of the possibilities listed above require some effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure the pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. The pH should rise if the pH is unusually low for the measured alkalinity, as in Figure 3 (if it does not rise, most likely one of the measurements (pH or alkalinity) is in error). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If the pH rises there too, then the aquarium pH will rise with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise inside (or rises very little), then the inside air contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should).

Even if we just look at your numbers for trending, I would guess there is a CO2 issue.

oops I was editing while you were typing:

I also have calibrated it like it says to with PH 7.0 standard buffer solution of phosphate, and then tested it in a PH 4.01 standard buffer solution of borax. It required an initial adjustment but has held the calibration since.

My tank is great! evrything healthy and happy. Corals are thriving and my fish seem 100%.

I'll try some aeration.

I would re calibrate it with 7 and 10 because that is the range you are testing in. Meters can be off if you calibrate in a different range. But it seems like its prolly close enough.

Anyway, if your animals are good I wouldn't bother chasing numbers - you'll just go crazy and stress everything out. :biggrin2:

Let us know about how the aeration tests go.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back