what kinda red light?

kilbot1982

Hatchling
Registered
hey guys...what kind of red light do you use?

im using a 15watt incandecent screw in red bulb i got from big als...

and it seems to frighten my octopus when i turn it on, because he goes into his

den, i can sit and watch him (just barley) when its not on and he seems happy.

i also tryed red LED christmas lights that he really didnt like as well...

also hes a O.mercatoris.

The standard 15 watt red incandescent bulb produces quite a broad spectrum which octopus can see. LED's vary in how long the wave length of red produced. I have had the best luck using a darkroom safe light. The filter cuts off everything except the far red.

Roy

That looks like a normal incandescent and at 11Watts should not be "VERY" bright. I think the kind Roy is talking about is an incandescent with a red filtering lens (vs paint) but I don't know how you would measure the best lighting. I have used (and am still using) white LED's with a red lens, white low temperature outdoor fluorescent (an odd bulb that uses a different gas than normal fluorescents) with red velum and a red fluorescent successfully. The outdoor light gives the most light and I would venture to say the most octopus friendly in that it is over the merc tank and several of my mercs would swim and be very active with it on. Cassy has the red fluorescent screwed into a cone shaped shop light (very ugly) and Tank has the red filtered LED. The twins red lighting only illuminates part of their tanks (roughly half) so they can escape to the dark if they choose. Up until about two months ago, Tank denned on the side with the lighting. Most recently though, he has crossed over to the dark side :sagrin: but has no issues with returning to the lighted side if he decides he does not like me watching him (go figure).

LOL I just had the thought of buying a strip of red out door christmas lights to use on the tank. It would be kind of festive... would it work in a pinch? If I have to wait or my husband to make me the box:roll:... I am pretty sure I would have had 5 different octos by then.:sink:

On the plus side... I guess it turned out for the best that I decided to put Sedona in the smaller tank after all.

Red party lights and Xmas lights put out a lot more than just red.

Red LEDs can be pretty tight, the darkroom light has to be pretty tight. For my deep-sea octopuses I used an infrared heat light (the kind used to warm food) - it worked OK but there are much better (and cooler) solutions these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back