• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What kind of octopus do you think would be best?

SandV

Wonderpus
Registered
I am wondering what kind of octopus you all think would be best? My tank is 40 inch tall by 40 inch wide by 34 in deep, about 230 gallons.
I was thinking about a vulagris, or maybe briareus. I don't want to do a chiller right now, but I could entertain the idea if you have a good idea :smile:
Thanks!

Welcome BACK!!!!
Easiest larger octo to get will be O.briareus. If you luck out and keep one with the really full webbing, you have a lot of room to watch it "float". I have kept several but only Cassy showed the really full webbing and watching her maximize the tank always reminded me of some kind of elegant other world glider.

Vulgaris are likely the smartest (as opposed to being "special" :wink:) of the ones we keep (I would place briareus on the opposite end of the scale but their beauty makes up for it :biggrin2:) but sourcing one is very difficult. It would be my first choice if the option existed.

O. hummelincki would be happy and visible but we have not seen any in quite awhile. The captured females tend to brood within two weeks of being put into the tank (they are a small egg species so no hatchling for long) and the size varies from dwarf to medium.

Thanks!
Also, what about an O. cyanea. I haven't heard of them before?
For a vulargis does Diver Tom usually have only briareus?

O. Cyanea is about the size of a vulgaris maybe larger and are hard to come by. Tom can usually get 2 - 3 different species. Its best to contact him with what you are looking for.

Roy posted some info awhile ago on keeping this species. I will add a link to this post if I can find it. I have alway thought cyanea would be the height of home aquarium keeping but, never even having seen one alive, it may be my own fantacy.

Here is a link to one of the threads where both Roy and Muctopus discuss cyanea. In a nut shell, the recommendations is not to try to keep one at home.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back