• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

What kind of lighting do you have?

Tone1987

Blue Ring
Supporter
This is a question that has always plagued me, I have had mult. blue rings and have kept them under black lights and they have done fine... Im looking into keeping a bimac shorty and want to get the lighting perfect. I know 10,000k is the way to go, but I want a more blue spectrum in the aquaium(for personal pleasure). Can I 50/50? 10k and atintic? Full atintic? Black light? Has anybody had any luck with any of these combos?

shipposhack

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
You should just go with a regular (10k I believe) 30-40 watt fluorescent bulb. Octopuses see the blue spectrum as very bright and you will see less of him with 50/50 or with full actinics.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Yes, stay away from actinics, metal halides, power compacts, etc.
Most labs don't even use lighting with their octopuses and other cephs - the light they have is ambient light.

A fluorescent light is fine - we've never done a poll, but I iimagine most people are using 10,000K.

Nancy

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Tone1987,
We have mercs (nocturnal pygmies) and use a set of 5 LED dome lights (24 bulbs each), three white two blue and a sixth red. The white and blue stay on only during the day, the red is on 24/7. It is not great lighting to show off the tank but I have almost no algae and can keep a sea fan alive long enough for my urchins to eat it :roll:. The mushrooms don't grow huge like in my reef and look brown, not red but they survive. Also, I see a lot more of my serpent stars so there are some positive trade-offs.

You could also consider all red, all the time for a different effect but I would think a bimac might want some brighter ambient for part of the "day".

Members online

No members online now.