what is this??

Sturgeon get big, yes, but I don't think ever that big. Also, sturgeon are bottom feeders, so they have more of a "sucker" type mouth at the bottom of the head. Not sure if it would ever be large enough for a person, but even if it were it would be a very awkward operation to get a man inside one of these fish. Can't remember that story in detail, did it mention being consumed into the sea? Or did it mention some form of fresh water environment? That would make a big difference too when thinking of potential fish species.

Regarding the Smithsonian episode, perhaps a megalodon? They're big, lots of teeth, predatory. Didn't check the size reported with estimates for megalodon, but I know that they were big, twice as long as the largest great whites. That'd make them around 50 feet, which fits the story. Being a shark, one wouldn't have to surface for air. Sharks don't have scales, per say, and have relatively tough skin. I vote Carcharodon megalodon !!!! :biggrin2:

It couldn't be a whale shark as they don't have teeth and eat plankton, and the Smithsonian should be able to recognize one of them. Also, one should consider that though "When cut open an animal weighing 1,500 lbs. was found in is stomach." could also mean that it was carrying offspring. Great white sharks (related to megalodons) are viviparous, they give birth to 2-6 fully formed pups which can be up to 1.5m long. So...maybe there are still megalodons roaming the oceans...schweet...

Cheers!

I was looking closer at the story of Jonah itself in the bible, and when the big fish swallowed him, he was en route from Joppa (modern day Tel-Aviv) to Tarshish (somewhere near Spain) which would have put him in the Mediterranean Sea. The scripture says that God had appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights before it vomited him up on dry land. (The fact that "God appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah is among the reasons I feel it was a miracle that he did survive that long.)

I love the idea of the megalodon as a possible explanation for the other article. I am surprised though that the Smithsonian wasn't aware of this animal's identity, particularly if it was a megalodon. I'm glad I posted this thread! Lots of good input here! :smile:

Oohhhh...now you've done it. Opened up the can of Megalodon/Carcharodon worms ! I'm one of those rebels who thinks that they are the same fish, so in answer to your question, I'd say yes, they do occupy that area.
If you were going to talk to a Meg believer, he would probably say "maybe", since the fossilic evidence is scattered all over the map.

Theological implications in this case are interesting, though you are going to find a lot of naysayers here, since for the most part, they are of scientific bend. Of course, I worship a giant space octopus, so what do I know...

greg

bobwonderbuns said:
Hi again -- do y'all think that Megalodons live or could live in the Mediterranian Sea?

Well, if a Megalodon wants to live in the Mediterranian, I'm certainly not going to try and stop it! (Substitute 1500lb shark into your favorite 900lb gorilla joke)

I'm inclined to believe that if such a large animal was inhabiting the oceans, that we would have noticed it by now. I know that there are countless millions of new species to be discovered (including a rat/squirrel just found in Laos thought extinct for the past 11 million years!) but I doubt that too many of them are 50 ft long top predators. Having said that I think it would be freakin' sweet if someone found one, but I doubt it. Just too many scientific improbabilities.

Cheers!

Actually, since the Mackerel sharks sink when dead, there would very, very few sightings...if any at all.

Hmm. Don't think you could have seen the thread regarding leopard sharks...that was in supporters ! LOL.
In my defense, it was dark, the sharks were lit, and she was hot.

Anywho, I'm still a fan of the Megalodon/Carcharodon thing. Hey, what a great painting ! Off to work...

Ah! Raining on parades! My favorite pasttime! :twisted:

Greg: Charcharodon and Megalodon teeth don't match, they're very dissimilar in their profile, serration and thickness to height ratio: not the same species, for sure, no further cladistics necessary... They might still be out there, though :goofysca:

Bob, go google... "define: allegory"

Not intending to start an off topic discussion here, everyone's entitled to their own opinion :biggrin2:

ob finally got a chance to play around with some of the recording software and it beats the hell out of the roland 16 track we used for our demo.

now megalodon might have much larger than thought, all we have to go on is jaws and teeth, so if meg had an eel like body plan it could have gone 100 feet. I want my scary monsters big damnit (where is gojiro when you need him).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back