What is the ideal salinity for cuttefish? | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

What is the ideal salinity for cuttefish?

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
I read in a book that cuttlefish cannot tolerate water salinity that is lower than its natural habitat. Could I know if there is an ideal salinity for Sp. Latimanus? My water salinity is currently at 1.022 at 25-26deg. Am thinking if I should increase it to 1.023 or 1.024.

Thanks!

Cheers, LS

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Zoidberg has tolerated a salinity of 1.20-1.27. he would refuse to eat if the salinity was not between this. So increasing the salinity a little should be alright.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
1.025 - 1.026 is perfect for them, its true that all cephs dont like the water to be off as far as salinity is concerned

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
Hmmm...I'm still abit puzzled. Isn't 1.022 the salinity of seawater the world over? 1.026 seems to me abit too 'salty'. :P

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
No, the sea really is salty! The specific gravity of seawater is 1.026 (and there are minor variations in different oceans and at different depths).

So 1.025-1.026 is a good sg for a ceph.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
do it gradually though and never add salt straight to the tank.. mix up a bucket of stronger water and add it gradually over a day or two...

:biggrin2:

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
:) Not to worry, I intend to let the water evaporates a bit more, and to increase the salinity gradually during my water change regime.

Cheers, LS

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards