what is cooliatus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by derek11, Nov 16, 2006.

1. derek11

derek11 Cuttlefish Registered

my lfs has a cooliatus for sale but i cant seem to find any info on them can anyone help.

2. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Is it an octopus? O. aculeatus perhaps?

3. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

hahaha yeah, agreed with above. if it's an octopus, it's probably an aculeatus.

4. derek11

derek11 Cuttlefish Registered

is this an active species and how do they do in the home aquarium

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I believe this species are what I have 2 of. If his mantle is the size of a golf ball, then it is an adult and you will not have much time left with him. I just lost one of the 2 that I have. Octo#2 I only had for 2 weeks. Squiggles about 2 months but she's stopped eating and quarding eggs.

Carol

6. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

I currently have an Aculeatus in my 55 gallon [I wouldn't recommend going much smaller than that for tank size]. He is a confirmed Aculeatus and his body is bigger than a golf ball and he's been with me for months....so I don't know what the deal is with that, as far as life span goes.

I've found mine to be extremely active, as well as diurnal. Sometimes he plays with me, but to be honest, they seem to be very moody individuals [I've observed several other before this one].
    If this is your first octo, I wouldn't recommend an Aculeatus...they don't seem to be as social or friendly as a bimac.