• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What I need.

octopuslove

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I've had a dream since I was young to one day own an octopus. I understand that this is going to be an difficult and expensive journey. I have been doing A LOT of research, reading lots of articles (thanks to this site :wink:), and reading books. I also understand I will need quite a bit of equipment, time, and patience. I was wondering if anyone could give me maybe a list of specific equipment i need? or any bias toward certain brands? or any knowledge of what works best? maybe information on where to start? I have nothing yet and I'm not about to just go out and buy and octopus and throw him in any old tank. I want to do this the right way, and take the best possible care of my future love as i can. :tentacle:

:welcome: to TONMO.

You have come to the right place. As far as what you need... :read: :read: and when you think you are done :read: some more.

Basic supplies needed...
65 to 75 gallon tank-drilled over flow is better
protein skimmer
refugium-light to go on the refugium-macro algae
100+ lbs of live rock
Return pump, and other pumps for protein skimmer and other things and korola power heads.
Heater
Testing supplies
salt mix
Access to RO/DI water (either buy the filter or buy the water from you LFS (local fish store)
Buckets to mix salt
Thermometer
Hoses for return pump and other needs ie water changes and plumbing situations...
Lid... tight fitting secure lid

The list can go on depending on the person. Some people use one thing over another but this is the basics... if you continue to read here you will get more information that will help guide you.

Good luck, and welcome to the obsession.

:welcome: to TONMO

They will let us know if I missed anything

Looks like a great list to me. Only thing I might add is substrate, live sand. but a few people out there don't use sand, just leave the bottom empty with only glass. For Live rock and sand I use one pound per gallon of water. my 125 gallon tank has 125lbs of sand (about 1"-2" deep depending on the tank dimensions) and 125lbs of live rock. But you can always have extra live rock, the more the better, to certain degree you obviously still want room for your buddy to move around.

Oh wow thanks everyone, this is great! I would love everyones feedback! But that's definitely a great start. Does anyone know where I can find a tank like that (with the overflow) or drilled for a sump?

CaptFish;176162 said:
:welcome: to TONMO

Looks like a great list to me. Only thing I might add is substrate, live sand. but a few people out there don't use sand, just leave the bottom empty with only glass. For Live rock and sand I use one pound per gallon of water. my 125 gallon tank has 125lbs of sand (about 1"-2" deep depending on the tank dimensions) and 125lbs of live rock. But you can always have extra live rock, the more the better, to certain degree you obviously still want room for your buddy to move around.

Good point... and some octopuses like to dig (bimacs for one). Also I personally like the look of sand on the bottom. I personally prefer to have LOTS of live rock so I normally do 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon. I wouldnt go with less than 1 lbs per gallon though as its needed for biological filtration.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back