• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What filtration for an O. mercatoris?

evan484

Cuttlefish
Registered
I just bought 20 high for my first octo tank (fourth salt water tank) and I am trying to figure out what kind of filter I should use. I've read about alot of people using canister filters, but is that nessisary for merc? I was looking at a Aquaclear 70 which is a HOB, any thoughts on that? For a canister filter I was looking at the magnum 350 which I thought was a good deal at 85 bucks.

If I could get some input on what kind of filter to use it would be hugely appreicated
Thanks,
Evan

currently i only have a hob filter. 29 gallon tank. ive had my merc since december 3rd. ive been doing 5 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. this week i am either building a refugium or one of these. or maybe both. im pretty broke so ill have to see what i can justify spending $$ on.

As with chosing a filteration option for any marine tank, a lot depends on your personal comfort level and maintenance routines. A small tank requires a lot of water changes so the filtration is only half the water cleaning consideration. On my 15 (dwarf tank) I use a Skilter with an air stone added to the skimmer area and a DIY net at the overflow. This has the advantage of some protein skimming (minimal but better than none) and a lot of areation for a small tank. I have experimented with different filter media for it and find their standard charcoal pad and filter work as well as any. More important than the mechanical unit are regular large water changes, keeping the substrate clean (I use less than an inch of argonite sand and stir it weekly) and the biological filtration (extra live rock for denning as well as filtration). Personally, I would not use a canister as it is too easy to put off cleaning it, I still have a very, very, very old 350 that I run as a charcoal only filter for one of my 35's but not as the main mechanical filtration. IMO, choose the filter you are most likely to clean weekly.

For HOBs to the costs of the filter cartridges add up fast? Also what is involved in cleaning a canister filter and how long does it generally take?

When considering any kind of filtration, check the prices of the media and filter material replacement. To cut down on expenses, I buy the media by the sheet and cut my own. For the Marineland filter, it is worth it to buy the premade sleeve (a strip of velcro works to join the sides though for a DIY). I clean the poly sleeves several times before discarding them by soaking them in Clorox, then in a declor then in fresh water and allow them to fully dry (this requires multiples).

With the Aquaclear filters, the only thing that you need to replace monthly is the activated carbon, which should cost you about 5 bucks. The sponge can be rinsed monthly to clear debris. The Biomax media should never really be touched because it's housing for a lot of your good bacteria. Canister filters, in my opinion, don't really do much for a marine system. You can build a 10 or 15 gallon refugium or wet/dry for 85$.

forever27;132106 said:
With the Aquaclear filters, the only thing that you need to replace monthly is the activated carbon, which should cost you about 5 bucks. The sponge can be rinsed monthly to clear debris. The Biomax media should never really be touched because it's housing for a lot of your good bacteria. Canister filters, in my opinion, don't really do much for a marine system. You can build a 10 or 15 gallon refugium or wet/dry for 85$.

I just bought the Aquaclear 70, I havent set it up yet but it looks pretty nice. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions about using the Biomax media. Ive heard that the Biomax media (or any equivilent like bio balls) eventually build up nitrites. Whats your thought on this?
Thanks,
Evan

Yeah, I've never used the Aquaclear for a marine system, but if I did I'd probably swap out the Biomax every 3 months or so, because you've got enough good bacteria in your live sand and on the rock. And that's only like 3.99 or so.

I
've used Aqua clears on my reef tanks for years. but get a sump/refugium. i'm just setting up an 180gl./sump fuge my 130 has an 80 gallon sump fuge for seahorses.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back