• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What do you think would be a good startervfish for an aquarium?

C

CephDude

Hi everyone!
I'm thinking about getting a salt water aquarium,
I have had a fresh water tank, it was awesome.
Now I think I can move on to salt water aquariums.
I am probably going to get a 30-50 gallon aquarium,
What do you think would be the best fish for me to start out with?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a cuttlefish be out of reach? Or several cuttlefish, or possibly a small octopus. I'm not exactly sure, you could try private-messaging one of the staff possibly?

What about honing your skills in water quality management with salt water fish, before moving into the much more critical realm of cephalopod keeping? In any case, cycling your tank is key, so that gives you ample time to consider the options.

Oh,
I'm Sorry.
I was Asking About All salt Water Fish,
Not Just Cephalopods.
I know that You Have to Cycle
And Mature You're Tank,
And Everything Before You Get a Cephalopod.

I would recommend the largest tank that you can comfortably afford. The moment you get the tank set up, you will be wishing for a larger tank... A 55 gallon would be a nice size to start, you would be able to keep either a small octopus or some S. bandensis in a tank that size. Instead of fish, why don't you get some interesting invertebrates? You could get some shrimp and crabs and a brittle star. That way, you wouldn't have to find a new home for the fish when you acquire your cephalopod.

Yeah, I was Thinking about getting a larger tank.(Around 50 Gallons or so)
And, I've been Reading About S. bandensis....
But, yeah, You gave me a Good Idea On What To Put in the Tank once its Cycled.
The Only Shrimp I've Seen In My LFS Are Ghost Shrimp Though, Augh!

Thanks, CuttleGirl!

Good Idea,
I'll See If I Can Find a Aquarium Club, in My Area.

Hey, I found a Aquarium Club, Where I live, I'm Looking at it right now
I also Found another LFS too!

I've been using mollies for cycling for decades. Yes, you can buy the freshwater variety and slowly introduce them to salt. Unlike other hardy fish such as damsels, mollies are easy to catch if you want to remove them, and will not attack a ceph if you leave them in the tank.
You can find them in virtually ever fish store in the world, too,and they are very inexpensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back