What do you think this occy is?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have some ideas, but don't want to influence you guys.

From 'East Americas'. Mantle about 10 cm, leg span about 35 cm. No eye spots of any kind.

:biggrin2:

BTW - this occy is one of the most intelligent seeming occys I have kept. This one seems to really look at you. It (he I believe) learned that I was the food bringer in a day. When I walk in to the room, he leaves his den and goes right to the front glass. He has removed a shrimp from a bottle and I am going to start with Jars this afternoon. He also has left his den and gone to the other side of the tank to eject uneaten shrimp shells from his arms.

Upvote 0
Nice octopus, Rich! There does seem to be a big difference in intelligence and how outgoing a personality they have.

I'm not going to venture a guess, but what does "East Americas" refer to?

My suggestion: see if you can get him to wave. Because I waved at Ollie every time I visited her tank (many times a day), she picked up on that and waved back. Then she even initiated waves. Of course, people might think it strange if they saw you waving at your octopus:smile:

Nancy

Upvote 0
Your guess is as good as mine as to where 'East Americas' is. I would guess Carribean, but it could also be Florida or South America (but I doubt that).

I'll try the waving!

Upvote 0
dwhatley;169256 said:
My immediate impression is vulgaris (definitely NOT briareus). Look at el Diablo's thread at both el Diablo and at the two that were at Mote. They have definitely been observed to be smarter than most of the ones we keep. It is my hope to eventually keep one, unfortunately, they are a small egg species.

My first thought was vulgaris too.

Upvote 0
dwhatley;169256 said:
My immediate impression is vulgaris (definitely NOT briareus). Look at el Diablo's thread at both el Diablo and at the two that were at Mote. They have definitely been observed to be smarter than most of the ones we keep. It is my hope to eventually keep one, unfortunately, they are a small egg species.

That would be my take too - though I guess I would want to call it a O. 'vulgaris'. :smile:

Upvote 0
Well, he opened a very lightly threaded plastic jar to get a shrimp. I had it too tight at first and had to adjust it twice, after the second time he jumped straight to the lid and opened it. The adjustments were interesting because he wouldn't let go of the container. I don't think I want to bring him to work, I'll have to see if I can source another one.

Upvote 0
That would be my take too - though I guess I would want to call it a O. 'vulgaris'.

???? Am I missing humor in my blank mind state or are you fussing at me for not specifying Octopus before the vulgaris since there are dozens of vulgaris (but only one that looks anything like the photo :biggrin2:)?

I don't think I want to bring him to work, I'll have to see if I can source another one.
It is not likely to matter :sagrin:, you will probably get enthusiastic about the second one too.

Upvote 0
dwhatley;169306 said:
???? Am I missing humor in my blank mind state or are you fussing at me for not specifying Octopus before the vulgaris since there are dozens of vulgaris (but only one that looks anything like the photo :biggrin2:)?

I would put vulgaris in quotes precisely because there are dozens. :biggrin2:

It is not likely to matter :sagrin:, you will probably get enthusiastic about the second one too.

Yes, but I'll still have one at home for the family!

Upvote 0
Thales;169224 said:
BTW - this occy is one of the most intelligent seeming occys I have kept. This one seems to really look at you. It (he I believe) learned that I was the food bringer in a day. When I walk in to the room, he leaves his den and goes right to the front glass. He has removed a shrimp from a bottle and I am going to start with Jars this afternoon. He also has left his den and gone to the other side of the tank to eject uneaten shrimp shells from his arms.

I didnt know they eject uneaten shells from there arms? I am still learning, but thats neat. Do you take the shells out when he is done?

When you put your hand in the tank they dont try and bite you?

Upvote 0
Your description sounds very much like El Diablo.(photos look O. vulgaris too) He was able to unscrew a lid to get a crab or piece of shrimp out of a jar also. He was very , very social and interactive. He seemed to recognize me early on. He loved floating toys, I used small squirt bath toys. He would sometimes give them a good squeeze and they'd sink. He made a game of it, he was very smart. If he was denned and I placed a hand on the glass, he would always extend an arm to the glass as if to say "hey". Tank maintenance was tedious, he grabbed everything that entered his domain and if he liked it he'd take it. He could be rough but most of the time he was gentle and loved his head rubbed. I miss him. Congratulations, you have a very promising octopus. Please update your progress, I for one am very interested.
I hope one day to own another O. vulgaris.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back