What do you think this occy is?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#2
BTW - this occy is one of the most intelligent seeming occys I have kept. This one seems to really look at you. It (he I believe) learned that I was the food bringer in a day. When I walk in to the room, he leaves his den and goes right to the front glass. He has removed a shrimp from a bottle and I am going to start with Jars this afternoon. He also has left his den and gone to the other side of the tank to eject uneaten shrimp shells from his arms.
 

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 20, 2002
Messages
5,665
Location
Dallas Texas
#3
Nice octopus, Rich! There does seem to be a big difference in intelligence and how outgoing a personality they have.

I'm not going to venture a guess, but what does "East Americas" refer to?

My suggestion: see if you can get him to wave. Because I waved at Ollie every time I visited her tank (many times a day), she picked up on that and waved back. Then she even initiated waves. Of course, people might think it strange if they saw you waving at your octopus:smile:

Nancy
 

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,131
Location
Gainesville, GA
#6
My immediate impression is vulgaris (definitely NOT briareus). Look at el Diablo's thread at both el Diablo and at the two that were at Mote. They have definitely been observed to be smarter than most of the ones we keep. It is my hope to eventually keep one, unfortunately, they are a small egg species.
 

SabrinaR

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
1,462
#7
dwhatley;169256 said:
My immediate impression is vulgaris (definitely NOT briareus). Look at el Diablo's thread at both el Diablo and at the two that were at Mote. They have definitely been observed to be smarter than most of the ones we keep. It is my hope to eventually keep one, unfortunately, they are a small egg species.
My first thought was vulgaris too.
 

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#8
dwhatley;169256 said:
My immediate impression is vulgaris (definitely NOT briareus). Look at el Diablo's thread at both el Diablo and at the two that were at Mote. They have definitely been observed to be smarter than most of the ones we keep. It is my hope to eventually keep one, unfortunately, they are a small egg species.
That would be my take too - though I guess I would want to call it a O. 'vulgaris'. :smile:
 

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#9
Well, he opened a very lightly threaded plastic jar to get a shrimp. I had it too tight at first and had to adjust it twice, after the second time he jumped straight to the lid and opened it. The adjustments were interesting because he wouldn't let go of the container. I don't think I want to bring him to work, I'll have to see if I can source another one.
 

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
20,131
Location
Gainesville, GA
#10
That would be my take too - though I guess I would want to call it a O. 'vulgaris'.
???? Am I missing humor in my blank mind state or are you fussing at me for not specifying Octopus before the vulgaris since there are dozens of vulgaris (but only one that looks anything like the photo :biggrin2:)?

I don't think I want to bring him to work, I'll have to see if I can source another one.
It is not likely to matter :sagrin:, you will probably get enthusiastic about the second one too.
 

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
3,000
#11
dwhatley;169306 said:
???? Am I missing humor in my blank mind state or are you fussing at me for not specifying Octopus before the vulgaris since there are dozens of vulgaris (but only one that looks anything like the photo :biggrin2:)?
I would put vulgaris in quotes precisely because there are dozens. :biggrin2:

It is not likely to matter :sagrin:, you will probably get enthusiastic about the second one too.
Yes, but I'll still have one at home for the family!
 

Missnano

O. vulgaris
Registered
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
75
Location
Missouri
#12
Thales;169224 said:
BTW - this occy is one of the most intelligent seeming occys I have kept. This one seems to really look at you. It (he I believe) learned that I was the food bringer in a day. When I walk in to the room, he leaves his den and goes right to the front glass. He has removed a shrimp from a bottle and I am going to start with Jars this afternoon. He also has left his den and gone to the other side of the tank to eject uneaten shrimp shells from his arms.
I didnt know they eject uneaten shells from there arms? I am still learning, but thats neat. Do you take the shells out when he is done?

When you put your hand in the tank they dont try and bite you?
 

Lmecher

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
1,375
#13
Your description sounds very much like El Diablo.(photos look O. vulgaris too) He was able to unscrew a lid to get a crab or piece of shrimp out of a jar also. He was very , very social and interactive. He seemed to recognize me early on. He loved floating toys, I used small squirt bath toys. He would sometimes give them a good squeeze and they'd sink. He made a game of it, he was very smart. If he was denned and I placed a hand on the glass, he would always extend an arm to the glass as if to say "hey". Tank maintenance was tedious, he grabbed everything that entered his domain and if he liked it he'd take it. He could be rough but most of the time he was gentle and loved his head rubbed. I miss him. Congratulations, you have a very promising octopus. Please update your progress, I for one am very interested.
I hope one day to own another O. vulgaris.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
19,321
Messages
201,686
Members
8,251
Latest member
Pulpito

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards
Top