• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

what do you have and how much do you have in your ceph set up

DHyslop;80085 said:
Its possible for $500, but the trick would be to get just about everything used. That also means it might take months or longer to scavenge everything you need. Think about it this way: you can have fast or cheap, but not both!

Obligatory reminder, even though it's been mentioned often elsewhere: If buying used equipment, make sure it has not had anything that would leave copper residue, like the copper-based medicines sometimes used for fish! I suspect you know this, Shipposhack, but I wanted to mention it in this thread for people who are searching for used tank advice.

Octopus (unidentified) we know he's a baby, but it looks like he has spikes all over him. He flashes black at us sometimes. He's pretty daring. Pretty active compared to the last one. We're both happy with him.

55 gall=$55

Skimmer(rigged with black tubing to create more prestine water flow)=$40

Cascade=$104

Live rock=$150 45-50 lbs

Sand=$150 3-4 1/2 inches

Slate rock for den=$30

Egyptian sculpture=$25

Custom lighting system + dimmer=$65-70 (Dimmer is placed infront of the aquarium for easy access)

Thermometer=$10

Heater=$49

Black wooden stand=$188

Wooden lid, custom built seal on front and back to prevent escape=$288

Octopus...priceless.

Thinkin about this:
48 gallon bowfront tank at lfs $200
Emperor 400 $50
JEBO Skimmer $50
Eco-Aquilizer ME-125 w/ pump $75 (worth it?)

$375 there.

How much live rock should I be expecting to buy?

Also I saw 2 "Octopus Bali" at my lfs today for $40.01 each

Anything else that's neccessary?

Thanks for the help :tongue:

Skip the "Aqualizer." Looks like something from the Sharper Image catalogue.

I don't think the Emperor (or any other power-filter) will cut it. Cephs pump out a tremendous amount of waste compared to fish. Consider a canister filter or a wet/dry.

I have no opinion about the Jebo skimmer, but I've heard that their lights are bad news. Remember that most skimmers out there require a sump.

How much live rock will also depend on what you go with for filtration. Most reefers recommend 1+ pounds per gallon because they use it as a principal means of filtration. A decent-sized wet/dry will have a lot of filtration potential so you could skimp a bit on the LR.

Also keep in mind everything else you'll need to buy. Sand, salt plumbing hardware, sump, heater, etc etc etc. These are the things that cost more than you expect them to that make you hundreds of dollars over budget at the end of the project :smile:

Dan

Another setup:

46 gal bow front from lfs - 200
AquaC Remora Skimmer MJ1200 - 150
Fluval 304 or 404 filter - 75-100

450 :o

Is a heater neccessary?

If there's a good skimmer for around 100 I'd rather get that, but from what ppl have said the Remora seems to be the best bet. I don't think I need a sump either bc the filter and skimmer both are hang-on (I believe). What kind of Salt plumbing hardware do I need?

Thanks for helping

I'm personally a big fan of sumps, but some people get by without them. If you're trying to work on a budget a sump might help because instead of trying to find a HOB skimmer for $150, you might find a used in-sump skimmer for $20 or $30. Of course in this scenario you also have to pay for the sump itself (from free to $30 or $40) and a return pump (which might cost you $60 new, less used). I personally think its worthwhile because a modest in-sump skimmer is typically of better quality than a HOB unit, but it all depends on where your price point is.

Dan

I like Fluvals. I just replaced my last 303 that I had running almost constantly for the last 20 years!!!

I got a Turbo Venturi skimmer on ebay that I am very happy with. It spews out lots of black gunk.

My most recent tank.... 120 Gallon $140
Stand $80
Aquirium lifestyles 200g wet dry $200
6 65 watt coral life lights $200x3 $600
2 Emperor 400's $60x2 $120
Magnum 350 $100
UV Steralizer (just for occasion) $200
MagDrive 1200 $160
300Lbs of live rock!! Free
(My friend has his own farm I am so lucky)
Protein skimmer $180
Oh and little stuff, timers, jets, thermometers, 3 heaters, test kits, etc.

In total about $1800 and I never pay full price for anything. I didn't relize what an expensive hobby this was.

This is with only about 120lbs of live rock... Now I have atleast 300lbs Wooo Hooooo!!

Attachments

• conv_289741.jpg
    conv_289741.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 196
I've actually aquired most of my tank stuff by trading tattoo work. ( I get $120 an hour) I have a 60 gallon plexi glass bow front tank with internal protein skimmer, drip filter, bed filter, two large powerheads ( not sure on the g.p.h. w/ large canopy and stand.

2 double metal halide lamps

tons of polops 3 anemies, a giant clam, and a whole assortment of soft corals and sponges. my buddys friend got sick and couldnt up keep his tank and gave me everything (50lbs very well established rock, 8" brain coral, sea aple, 7" clam) living in the tank for a small backpiece that took me an hour to do... I scored.

other than that I probably have spent over $900 in maitenence and gadgetry over the years.

I have a 44 corner hex with stand and canopy - 200.00
New reef sand mix - 40.00
Live sand mix - 40.00
old sand from my other tank - 20.00 aprox
live rock - 329.00 in new rock
Old live rock - 50.00
Fluval 404 and parts - 180.00
Skimmer - 200.00

Now keep in mind, this is just for the temp set up.
eventually it will be plumed into a sump, and once I get the working kinks out of hooking my refugium up tp my 150 reef, I will be hooking the same fuge up to the octo tank.
So eventually, I will have a system that is aprox 259 gallons of total water volume includeing sumps and refugium.
Though that will be nothing compared to the aquaculture set up I am working towards setting up. Though first I need to find the property to do so! lol

60 Gallon Acrylic

60 gallon sea clear... 300.00
Tank and Stand... 300.00
Tunze 9010 Skimmer... 429.00
Remora Skimmer... 170.00
Arctica 1/10... 400.00
75 Lbs Live Rock... 300.00
35 Lbs Live Sand... 40.00
Ph Monitor... $160.00
25 Gallon Sump... $250.00
Mag 9.5 Return Pump... $150.00
30 Watt Flourescent... $79.00

Total Cost... too much!!

Cost of tank and equipment................ $752
Cost of set up tank for live food............... $63
Cost of the experience of owning an octopus..... Priceless

i havnt bought any tank or equipment yet but here is what i plan to buy

-------------------
45$ my bimac octo(if i cant find briareus)
6$ FW - Black Molly (for cycleing) x3
-------51$-------
110$ 55 Gallon Tank from perfecto
28$Instant Ocean Salt 160 gallon Bucket
18$ Aragamax Sand 30lb (Sugar-Sized) (Carib Sea)
100$ Caribbean Live Rock - 40 lb
100$ Caribbean Live Rock - 40 lb
------356$------
108$ Coralife Super Skimmer - 220 Gallon
65$ Marineland Tidepool S.O.S. Skimmer
------173$-----
19$Saltwater Basic Test Kits (pH, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, ammonia)
70$Milwaukee TDS Meter
8$ Hagen Test Kit(phosphate)
7$Aquarium Systems (A Marineland Company) Instant Ocean Hydrometer
-------104$------
so far thats...684$
(assuming my math is correct)

and then ill have to buy
-shells or rocks (for shelter)
-baby safe toys(eg. big lego blocks)
-wights or ducktape(to hold lid down)
-mesh tank lid
-a big bucket
-aquarium tubing
-and food

drakanorn;95291 said:
65$ Marineland Tidepool S.O.S. Skimmer

Don't get this for an overflow, its junk. If you want a hang-on-back overflow, go with a Amiracle or any other brand that uses a u-tube with a round cross-section.

If you're using an overflow, I assume you're going to run a sump, but you don't seem to list any sump components (the sump itself and the return pump). Also, when you listed the octopus you neglected the FedEx overnight shipping on it, which is going to be $50-75. But in reality, that $75 will be dwarfed by other cost overruns :smile:

Good luck,

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back