• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What do i feed them now??????

Gilligan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi All,

I have Sepia Bandensis that are now roughly 10-12 weeks old. I started them feeding on live mysid and on the rare occasion when i had no other option live brine. I have now trained them to take frozen mysis and they are doing just fine. Got to the stage now where im thinking about other foods they are going to need as they are getting bigger. The frozen mysids already seem to be a little small for them and i am feeding them 3-4 times a day. Any advice on what foods i should be moving them onto now they are getting bigger and older??

Hi Cuttlegirl,
Sorry i havent been in touch. Yes they are doing fine. I had one unfortunate death, i had my powerheads in filter socks to prevent anything getting blended, however even though i positioned it right at the top of the tank one baby cuttle must have got sucked to it and sadly died. On the positive side the rest are fine, I have noticed that a couple are much bigger than others is this normal?

Second question - I am currently feeding frozen mysid, do i need to go back onto live food? Can i use any dead "sea" fish chopped up?? If you could give me as many options as possible that would be great. Remember i live in the UK and long way from the coast so crabs are not the easiest things for me to get.

A note on "frozen" crab. Those of us that are inland don't get the opportunity to see much (any in my case) in the way of raw crab, the frozen are cooked (steamed I think, to remove the meat and prevent spoilage). I have never been able to find a definitive answer as to why the cooked are not acceptable but have abided by the thought that it is not. There is, however, an alternate we have found that has worked very well for our octopuses. If you have a seafood department or Asian market that carries live blue crab (we have plenty in the US but blue crab is native here, an alternate variety should work just as well though), you can harvest the loose claws from the live crab bins (we do get odd looks on occasion as we move the live ones around and grab the claws with the tongs). They will still be fresh and can be frozen (use the sniff test, if there is any bad smell, don't use them). For cuttles, you will have to remove the meat and serve like you would piece of fish but for octos, we just hand them the claw :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back