What do I do with all these EGGS??

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by theperfect01, Mar 31, 2004.

1. theperfect01

theperfect01 Pygmy Octopus Registered

I woke up one morning to find my octopus dead in the tank. Being highly attached to him, there was no way I could flush it, so I had to wait for my boyfriend to get back in town (two days later). Glad we waited. There were eggs in his (we THOUGHT it was a boy) mantle. As he was purchased less than three months ago, I am HOPING they are fertilized. However, I haven't the slightest on how to rear them. Any help?

2. neptune

neptune Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

IMO -

Without the help of a female octo, you are going to have a fun task.

The eggs need to be secured and gently aerated and cleaned almost continually.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but perhaps with determination you could rear the eggs!

After a few days you should see a black dot in the egg about the size of a pen head. This would be the best way to determine if the are fertilized.

If the eggs were stationary in the mantle, you really need to get them affixed somewhere in the tank and start some water flowing through them gently!

GL to you!!

3. theperfect01

I put them in a livebearing fish separation box (it's basically a net around a box frame) near the top of the tank. I don't think I see any black specs in the eggs, but there is a white glob in most of them. Some of them are red--I believe this is from the portion of her mantle where she had a sore. Do I need to take out the red ones?

I'm about to put in an air stone in there to provide more airation. Do I need anything else in there?

I was going to attach a picture of the eggs, but the USB isn't working.

4. neptune

Sorry if I misslead you, but what I ment by aeration, was to have water moving them. Typicaly an mother octo would spend all day spinning and cleaning the eggs by gently rubbing them. You need to replicate this behavior, not air, but with water cirrculation.

The eggs should not be resting on their sides if possible. I would get all of them just in case, but prolly low hopes here.

Does not sound like time was available for her to clump the eggs together, or am I wrong in assuming that?

Pics would be great if you can pull it off.

5. theperfect01

They weren't strung together at all. That's why I thought putting them in the fish breeding net providing enough airation to keep them from settling too much might help. Any suggestions?

6. neptune

Perhaps that is best if somehow you can keep them moving slightly, but I am at a loss.

*thinking* will post later if I can come up with another alternative.

7. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Sorry about your octo, Great Luck to ya rearing them though! :D

8. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Same here, how long did you have it? :(

9. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

try taking a small powerhead, the place it outside of the net, place it at a distance until you think the current is good.

10. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

To keep eggs in constant movement you could use a plastic bottle or bowl that has a rounded bottom, that way the water movement keeps the eggs moving, for movement a small airstone might work.

Keeping them clean and moving is a constant job for a female octopus, tricky to replicate

11. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Wouldn't the bubbles from help clean the eggs too?

By the way, do you have any idea what species the octo is theperfect01?

12. neptune

I am glad to see I was giving accurate advice here. Seems like the consensus is to keep them clean and moving about!!

13. theperfect01

The eggs are quite large and there's not very many of them (~100).

I can't seem to keep them suspended. They keep settling around the parameter of the breeder box...though they look SO much cleaner than yesterday.

Still no sign of a black dot inside of them, though. There is a little string on the top of each individual on and I played around with the idea of stringing them together myself. But that seems like a lot of work if I'm not sure if they are fertilized or not. :o)

14. Andy Lister

Andy Lister Vampyroteuthis Registered

Just wondering what the outcome of this was?

~Andy