• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What corals are good to have with cuttles?

AtlasJock

Hatchling
Registered
I'm sure its covered somewhere on the site, but im completely new here and raising my first baby cuttlefish.

I was wondering what are good corals to have cause I want a reef tank but still want cuttles too. I know no zoanthids and nothing with long tentacles. Ive read a few small stinging corals are ok as long as they are few and far inbetween as cuttlefish will avoid them.

My friend said that some xenia may have a toxin that kills cuttlefish, I wasnt sure if this was true or if the pulsating xenia had this toxin. I'm sill rather new to salt water in general, but things are going well so far.

I have a ten gallon salt tank but plan to later make my 46 gallon fresh water tank into my new main salt tank, though thats gonna be atleast a year down the road.

For now the cuttlefish is doing well, about a month old. he wont eat the frozen mysis shrimp, so i began feeding the mysis shrimp to the ghost shrimp and then feed the ghost shrimp to the cuttlefish.

:welcome: to TONMO! Thanks for joining. I'm sure one of our resident experts will help. Meanwhile, definitely use the Search feature, we have 16 years of content, and our community has raised many cuttles. Also check out our Articles section.

I've had good luck with mushrooms, trumpet/candycane corals, green star polyps, and colt/leather corals. In fact most soft corals. I had some zoas in before knowing there were potential issues with stinging, and they pretty much completely ignored them.

You are going to need that 46 gallon way sooner than a year if your cuttle survives... Better start getting it ready now so it can cycle. Are the ghost shrimp freshwater? Sometimes they have been treated with things that are toxic to cuttlefish...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back