• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What CAN live with an octopus?

Yep, whatever you want to include for decoration is fine...I like natural algae's, some like plastic plants, just remember that what you like may not be what your octopus finds attractive, and it will redesign according to specs !

Try mushrooms if you want to use corals. They don't require so much light and won't sting the octopus - and, they're pretty! But, be prepared for them to be moved about, too.

Nancy

Bassman,

Roughly a month a go I added 2 shaving brushes(Penicillus pyriformis), a sea pansey (Udotea flabellum) and some halimida all with considerable root structure to Trapper's tank. My pencil urchins love the halimida and the pansey so they may not be around a long time but other than being mauled and munched on they have kept their color well and are surviving the very low lighting I keep in the tank (Trapper is also nocturnal). I also have some very small orange deepwater sponges that do better in this tank than my reefs. Adding plants with roots will likely add pods to the tank as well.

I am also a huge fan of serpent stars and if you keep your lighting low, you will see them much more often than in well lit tanks. My red one stays out most of the time now. They are super clean up for an octo tank, especially if yours eats anything with "left overs".

Also, as mentioned above, I keep pencil urchins in the tank. Because of the heavy filtration and low light, I don't have much algae (no green at all) for them but they seem to do OK on what is there and, as I mention, graze my new plants (I plan on getting more plants just for them ;>). They do tend to get into tight places so your rockwork needs to be very well secured but it should be for the octo anyway.

I forgot to mention one of my favorites for any tank. Feather dusters are critter safe for any aquarium, very hardy and don't need light (feeding yes, light no). Nancy has mentioned that she did read of an octo that repositioned them for decoration resulting in the death of the feathers so, once again, each critter has its pecularities.

Griffen,
I have seen some anemones in "touch" tanks (I know our new aquarium has Rose Anemones and some other kind that look similar but are white - I asked today but the touch tank guardians had no clue). This would imply that they have very little sting (it is said that ALL corals has some sort of stinging protection but not all PEOPLE are sensitive to it). The rose anemone is colorful and gets quite large but may have other drawbacks. The condylactis is another with low powered irritation. If any of these are octo safe, you still have to take into consideration the lighting needs. The skin of an octopus is VERY sensitive and I do not know if even these would be suitable. It is my understanding that the rule of thumb is not only no but ... NO! I KNOW the Florida flower anemones are not acceptable (see my thread on hot water for stings) and would expect the same for carpets. You might try researching items recommended for a seahorse tank and submit a desirability list from there for approval from some of the more experienced keepers. Many of the requirements are similar but keep in mind that seahorses have a tough armor that the octo does not have for protection.

We have anemones in our touch tanks, no problem with people (unless you kiss them...........but thats another story :biggrin2:!) but they raise nasty weals and blisters on the octopus skin. I wouldn't have them in an octopus tank.

Cheers

J

sorseress;87938 said:
Jean, have you been kissing anemones??? :shock: You've been working waaay too hard!

NOT me! I'm not quite that silly! We always tell people that the species in the touch tanks are harmless as the skin on the hands is too thick for the stings to penetrate, BUT the skin on your lips is thinner so if you want to feel it you'd need to give them a kiss! Well one of the staff reckoned he shouldn't say that without proof (note it was a male staff member :biggrin2:) so he did..................and ended up with a REALLY big pout for about a week :lol: he said it was really uncomfortable too :roll: !

J

Jean,

Spencer at age 5 is a bit of an explorer (especially if your back is turned) and if you told him he would have to kiss the anemone to feel it AND when he touched it there was no problem, well ... he is adventurous. I had to hold him over every touch tank at the aquarium yesterday since he could not reach the water on his own. I don't think he actually got to TOUCH anything but he had to try :biggrin2:

I keep something of a "touch-tank" in a refugium/sump arrangement I have for my "fish" tank. The kids tend to ignore it now but initially they would inspect to see if the touchable critters were viewable and ask me to hold them so they could touch. Since there are numerous plants in the tank, neither are brave enough to "touch" without supervision:wink:

dwhatley;87944 said:
Jean,

Spencer at age 5 is a bit of an explorer (especially if your back is turned) and if you told him he would have to kiss the anemone to feel it AND when he touched it there was no problem, well ... he is adventurous. I had to hold him over every touch tank at the aquarium yesterday since he could not reach the water on his own. I don't think he actually got to TOUCH anything but he had to try :biggrin2:

I keep something of a "touch-tank" in a refugium/sump arrangement I have for my "fish" tank. The kids tend to ignore it now but initially they would inspect to see if the touchable critters were viewable and ask me to hold them so they could touch. Since there are numerous plants in the tank, neither are brave enough to "touch" without supervision:wink:

I've met a few like Spencer...and don't usually use the kissing story with them, they don't usually need the reassurance anyway! We keep small stools for small people, they can be used at the touch tanks or any of the windows. we see a few slightly damp enthusiasts leaving :lol:

J

Jean;87942 said:
NOT me! I'm not quite that silly! We always tell people that the species in the touch tanks are harmless as the skin on the hands is too thick for the stings to penetrate, BUT the skin on your lips is thinner so if you want to feel it you'd need to give them a kiss! Well one of the staff reckoned he shouldn't say that without proof (note it was a male staff member :biggrin2:) so he did..................and ended up with a REALLY big pout for about a week :lol: he said it was really uncomfortable too :roll: !

J

Duly noted...and appreciated! :lol: Trying for Angelina lips was he?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back