• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What can i put in a 29 gallon tank?

calamari101

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am almost set on getting a 29 gallon tank. Does anyone know what the larget speciman that could fit in there COMFORATABLY? I would like to be able interact with it. Thank you for all your help!

Sicerely,Sincereley,
Calamari101

You might get away with an O. hummelincki/filosus. That's the only interactive octopus you're going to squeeze into a tank that small. Otherwise you're stuck with dwarfs, which are not typically interactive.

Animal Mother;116741 said:
You might get away with an O. hummelincki/filosus. That's the only interactive octopus you're going to squeeze into a tank that small. Otherwise you're stuck with dwarfs, which are not typically interactive.

Where can i egt one of those species? (not dwarf) :heee:

Yeah, that's the species they sell. I'm not absolutely sure about how large they really top out at. According to Cephbase.org it seemed they were listed as reaching about 13 inches (not sure if that's arm-span or mantle to arm tip). The ones members on here have had are more like 6-8 inches mantle to arm tip. I kept two and they were about the size of a tennis ball all wadded up.

I'm going to chime in here with my regular post, sorry about the repeat, and I know I say it a lot, but hummelnicki, 29 gallon, and comfortable DO NOT go together, you can pick two of those, but your never going to be able to get all three, so basically what im saying is this is another ethics/opinion question.

Have you set up a salt water aquarium before? If you can afford it, I would recommend a 55 gallon for several reasons. If something goes wrong with your water quality, it is more stable. Secondly, sometimes when you purchase a dwarf octopus, you get something else. Most fish stores do not know how to identify the species of octopus they have in stock.

Okay I thought it may be a room issue. The bigger the aquarium the it is to take care of because things change more slowly. You might have trouble keeping a 29g stable with the high bioload an octopus puts on your setup. Also after rock ect. its not much space to move around in :thumbsup:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back