What are the odds...?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Maximus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Maximus

Maximus Pygmy Octopus Registered

that my Six Line Wrasse will survive when my Octopus briareus finally arrives this Wednesday. I know your not really supposed to have much else in octo tanks because they get eaten :(.

Toms Caribbean Tropicals Inc. will be supplying him since I honestly can't find any other website that has any octos in stock.

My fish is named floyd and looks identical to this picture but with an all green tail.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/images/sixline1.jpg (for some reason the picture won't show up all the time.)
    You Guys seem to know what your talking about so I'll ask one more question. what's the easiest way to insure your octopus won't escape from the tank. I've heard low water levels, large books, mesh wire?

Any ideas? comments? All appreciated!
    Thanks
    -Max

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO. I wouldn't give it too good odds; Joefish's recent briareus addition ate his watchman goby the other day... we generally advise against tankmates, since they often will either end in someone being lunch, or cause undue stress for both animals at being confined in a small space with a potential adversary. But some folks have done OK... probably, the more crabs or shrimp you provide, the less likely the octo will eat the fish out of pure hunger... but I wouldn't count on that.

Low water levels won't help much; they can climb pretty well.

3. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Duct tape and or a heavy object on the lid will help keep the octo in. Mesh can be used for the back or anywhere you don't want the octopus going that you don't have to constantly get into.

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Given my experience with Six-Line Wrasse's, they're pretty quick and squirrelly. I would give it better odds than most other fish, but like Monty said, don't count on it. If the octopus is tiny like mine is, I wouldn't leave the wrasse in the tank with it, chances are it will harm your octopus.

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I had a six-lined wrasse that I transferred to my 55 gallon. The 55 gallon had a maroon clown and three damsels. The six-lined wrasse disappeared :shock: - I never found a body... Six-lined wrasse can be aggressive too... so I might worry that the octopus would be harassed.

6. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

While predation can be a problem with cephalopod/fish aquariums, a bigger problem may be the fish in the tank harrassing the cephalopod and causing infections.

Greg

7. Maximus

Thanks I'll take everyone's advice into consideration. I ended up taking a wire mesh hamster cage cover and making some cuts so the filter and such can go through but i think with some weights it'll do the trick.

I hope my fish doesn't get killed :(

8. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Be careful to make sure that you don't leave any wire ends poking out that the octopus can get spiked with.

I doubt your fish will make it, sorry.

9. Animal Mother

Just prevent any possibility of losing the fish or the octopus and move it to another tank.

10. Maximus

Alright well its coming either tomorrow or thursday. I'll snap some pictures and keep everyone updated. Hell might as well get some videos of the octo eating the coolest fish ever if it happens :(

11. Animal Mother

Or the fish picking the octos eyes out.

12. Maximus

13. Animal Mother

Pretty.

14. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Sorry to hear about Floyd (RIP), but yeah, he's a beautiful octo. It looks like he's trying to be pale to match the rock in that picture...

15. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

So sorry to hear about your fish. How big is your tank? The octopus looks huge in the photo.

16. Animal Mother

Very large indeed. The size of its mantle next to that red plastic cup makes it look like a very mature one too.

17. Maximus

My heart just sank.

He's very big btw but someone please tell me what the f**k happend to my octo :( his arm...somehow got severed from his body. I have no idea how his arm got cut off but its hanging by a thread. This is terrible he's just sitting at the bottom of the tank barely moving. I cant even describe how shitty/upset i feel. Maybe he got caught on a rock? I have no idea how it could of happened. I'll try to get a picture up. unreal. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

18. Maximus