What aquarium has live squid on display?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help re compiling a list of aquaria that have live squid on display (not cuttles, octopus or Nautilus)? Today's our big day.

I heard yester that Monterey Bay had live 'arrow squid' on display; that's a feat if so! Can anyone confirm this?

Ta
O

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
We've had Nototodarus on display for ..........3 whole days once :oops:

Reef HQ in Townsville have had Ideosepius on display (before you say anything yes I know.............this is not as squid as such) But t'is all I can think of

J

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Ta Jean. I searched the Monterey site and didn't find anything about a live squid exhibit. Are any Tonmo regulars next to Monterey that could check this out/call? It'd be much appreciated.

After a rather exhausting day the squid display is now up and running, alongside a poster with a nice wee plug for www.TONMO.com. Will get a pic online morrow (hopefully; morrow is a big day with VIP's arriving).
Me

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
Monterey Bay has Sepia, but as far as I've seen, no arrow squid.

I'll let you know as soon as I get the next newsletter...

John

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been to many marine exhibits in the UK and have never seen live squid on display

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Ta John, Col. Quite exciting ay wot! Can't wait for them to grow up a tad; there's ~ 400 of the lil' guys, some now to 15-20mm total length (and the recents 7-10mm); they are very fast growing at present.
O

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
Steve,

Checked again w/ Monterey... No arrow squid, just a preserved Dosidicus in a jar. I could send you a photo if you want. They do have a niiiiice selection of screencaps and fmv's on their intranet (including the possible new Magnappinnadae(sp?) specimen caught on tape off the coast of Hawaii. You would probably have more luck in getting free downloads of that than I would. Contact MBARI (The Research Institute) of you want more info on that.

Spotcha later!

John

Rona

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Live squid..

We had a live dosidicus for a few days. Appropriate, since it was the night that Dr. Roper was speaking....

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Rona. Where abouts was this squid on display???

Ta muchly
Me

Rona

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
When I worked at Cabrillo Marine AQ in San Pedro CA. It's right on the beach and a family found it while swimming and brought it to us. I think it knew Dr. Roper was going to be there ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genesis B

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards