• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What about toys?

imarttheman

Hatchling
Registered
I am a high school science teacher and I am considering getting an octopus for my room. I have two saltwater tanks at my home, one reef and one aggressive. I also have a 200 gallon freshwater tank in my classroom. I think an octopus is a wonderful way to inspire kids to learn about marine environments (I am in Arizona and some of my students have never seen the ocean). I have good substrate and fairly smooth live rock. I also have a Magnum 350 bio-pro filter system on a 55 gallon tank. I am curious if I should include some kind of "toys" to keep my future octopus entertained. I want to create the most stimulating environment possible. I know that these are extremely intelligent creatures, so I am looking for advice. Thanks to all.

One fun toy to keep an octopus's brain stimulated ...
1. Getting a *clean* plastic jar (e.g. vegemite, peanut butter) and
2. Put a shrimp or small fish in the jar.
3. Screw on the lid (not to firmly)
4. Poke holes in the jar so your pet can smell it.
5. Place in aquarium
... the aim to get the octopus to open the jar.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back