• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

What a Hitch Hiker!!!

I just looked at the TBS site. I'd heard of this place before, but it is expensive when you have to have it shipped. Lucky that you live near enough to visit!

Nice looking piece of live rockyou picked out.

I sent TBS an email and asked which species of octo they commonly find on their rock.

Since you've added the live rock, watch the ammonia levels. Octos are very sensitive to ammonia. Do water changes when ammonia starts to rise and bring it back down to as near 0 as you can.

Nancy

Nancy,

That wasn't the pic I thought it was. I have more on my laptop, I'll post tomorrow. That picture is just one part of the rock with a strange looking sponge on it! I was planning on asking them about my 8 legged hitchhiker on saturday or monday when I go back over there. They are very busy, sometimes it's hard to even get them on the phone. Living close to them, 50 minutes, is nice!!

I've noticed only a very small rise in my amonia and have been keeping on top of it. Most people I know that use TBS liverock experience very little, if any cycle when starting a new tank.

Thanks again for you help.

Thanks for the welcomes!! Again, very nice and informative site!

At this point, I'm considering pulling out the two or three pieces of LR that I believe he's hiding it. This is not going to be easy. It will be 4 days this aftenoon since he's been in my tank. I dont believe he's eaten anything. I would like to find him and transfer him to a friends refuge until I know he's eating and doing OK. Not to sound cold but I don't want him to die where I CANT find or retrieve him!! :frown:

Octomush said:
Im pretty sure that u shouldnt worry... That happens alot to people, that is unless he trapped himself...

Well.................

At this point, I think I've done all I can do. This morning I checked two of my LR's that I saw him in before and no Octo. He must have moved into one of the larger ones last night. There is no way I can check the other rocks without totally disrupting the tank. There is a million places for him to hide!! No sign that he touched any food I left last night. I'll keep leaving a "plate" out for him each night and hopefully he'll eat and be OK.

Octomush is right - they love amphipods and small shrimp and there's probably lots to eat in those rocks. Put out a little plate, but don't assume he's dying of starvation if he doesn't take it right away.

Nancy

Mantis Shrimp are about the only thing I haven't seen in my tank unless they are very, VERY tiny. Other pieces of LR that we've gotten has been loaded with them but not mine.

No crunching sounds coming from my tank :biggrin2: Between the little crabs and other critters that came in the LR plus what I've added, he should have plenty to eat. The little shrimp seem like a good addition to the cleaning crew as well. I'd just like him to make an appearance once in a while!! My fish are tired of me shining the flashlite in the tank at night also. I can tell by the looks they give me :shock: I better knock that off!!!

Yo!

Welcome to Tonmo... sorry for not posting for a while people!

Good little find you got yourself there, and really pleased to see you doing all you can to deal with it!

All I would say is be careful of the damsels. One of two things will happen, they will get eaten by the octo or they may pick at it's eyes (we saw that recently from someone I think).

Also depending on the octo species he might like the look of your clean up crew. Keep an eye on your stock levels as if he gets rid of them then your ammonia may start to rise pretty sharpish!

Good luck with it all and if you need anything you really are in the best place to find out!

~Andy

Don't be too worried if you don't see your octo around for a couple of days, they tend to hide for sometime after they are added to the tank. Maybe it feels insecure and doesn't want to come out or he could be nocturnal.He's probably feasting on amphipods so he won't really bother coming out for the food til he's done.

There's also the possibility that you have a night active octo - they might come out in the day if disturbed.

If so, you could observe him with a flashlight with a red lens (they can't detect that light).

There are some night active octos around the Florida area, such as O. briareus.

They can change their night preference - I've seen one (dbbga's Jetta) who was perfectly comfortable being out during the day (and very friendly, too).

but, that's just a thought.

Nancy

I want Hitch Hikers!

Where can I find a reliable, reputible place to order live rock and have it arrive in good condition? I have a 135 gallon tank filled with live rock but would still like a diffferent selection. There are only 3 saltwater stores in my area and their selection is not the gratest. I would loveto find a place to order live rock especially if it comes with hitch hikers :biggrin2: Anyone with any further information I would appreciate it. In the past I have orderd saltwater corals online wasting over $400! Everything arrived dead. Most of the bags I received had holes in them and almost no water left in them. Anyone thinking of ordering from aquacon.com think again. I do not recommend them at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back