West Coast Meet-up?

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by Fini, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Is there any interest in having a west coast meet-up? I was thinking somewhere in the bay area would be fairly central.

Let me know if you are interested and what you might like to do.
    Chris

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I enjoyed meeting folks at TONMOcon last year, so I'd certainly be up for that again. Unfortunately, I'm also horribly swamped, so there's a pretty good chance I couldn't make it, though, if it's any time soon... I'd encourage you to put it together, and if it happens to fall at a time I can get up there, I'll do my best to be there...

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Fini -- you've seen this, yes? We'll have another in '07, but early planning is calling for Florida this time around...

4. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

I was totally aware of the "con" from last year and the effort to have another next year. I thought it might be nice to have a smaller bay area / west coast meet-up some time this fall if possible.

Is there any time in the coming months that sounds suitable? I was thinking September sometime.

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Boy, Monterey was beautiful. To your point, no time is a bad time for a mini-TONMOCON!

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Just stay away from the oysters...whew, that brings back (or is it up?) some memories...

7. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Well, I'm going to be in San Fran for the American Chemical Society meeting 9-14 Sep...

No time for a stop-over in Arizona, I'm afraid :sad:

8. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Would anyone have a suitable meeting place in the bay area? It would be nice to have a tank or two to check out.

Here are a couple of other options. We could try to meet at an aquarium or something of that nature if it suits everyone. The other option is that I know a gentleman from arachnid circle in Berkeley who has a warehouse. He may let us use that space if I ask real nice.

We could also look at Monterey again. My wife has wanted to go anyway.

Any thoughts?
    Chris

9. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I live in san francisco and would be up for a social..

My apartment is too small to host. I also rent a warehouse space that im converting to an art gallery, but this neighboorhood is probably 'too sketchy' for most people =)

Would it just be an informal social gathering to talk about cephs? And perhaps meet the faces behind the names? Too bad we cant treat it like a frag swap and have...a Ceph-Swap !

10. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I would be up for some kind of hang out. Where and when are the questions. :smile:

11. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Yeah, as much as a ceph swap does sound great, it's not as easy as chucking a tarantula into a deli container.

You know I don't really care where we meet at. I'm not in the area, so I will have to rely on the bay area peeps to be the eyes. It doesn't have to be too formal if you just want to meet at a pub or something. :sagrin:

For that matter we could meet up in West Berkeley just off University where they have all the nifty shops and stuff. I could turn my wife loose while I drink a few pints and chat.

12. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

My stuff is in storage in the Bay Area, but alas I'm in the field this summer and fall. For those of you a little farther north, the American Malacological Society is meeting in Seattle at the end of the month. The Cephalopod Behavior symposium is on the 30th.

www.malacological.org/meetings/next.html

13. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

If it's to be Berkeley, how about Fondue Fred? They've got some good deals for large groups, as long as everyone likes cheese....

14. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

I wish I was in Washington right now! It's 111 degrees outside!

The giant octopus waving the space needle is awesome! Tell me they are making shirts for the conference.

As far as fondue goes, it sounds interesting if nothing else. Besides they do have a flat rate for parties. Wine is inclusive! :bugout:

15. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I'm fine with Berkeley, also,..., Sat 9, Sun 10?

16. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Wow, this would be great for me and Rebecca, but we just recently left the Coast for the Sonoran Desert. Hope y'all have fun, though. I wholeheartedly support mini-tonmocons. SF Bay area is awesome. Enjoy!

17. ravenschild

ravenschild Cuttlefish Registered

I'd be up for it, in theory, but I won't be around for long, and it's difficult to get away from my research.

18. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

W. and I are interested. When and where again?

19. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Looks like Fondue Fred unless we can find another place. I've only eaten at a couple of places in Berkeley so I'm no authority on eateries there. Fat Slice, Worlds Best Tri-Tip (cilantro-garlic sauce to die for), and some Indian restaurant off University are about the only places I know of.

ob's going to be around on September 9th and 10th, do either of those days jive for everyone?

20. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Who thinks they can attend?