Were nautiloids responsible?

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by Phil, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Studies of predation damage in Palaeozoic brachiopods have uncovered unidentifiable drill holes. Were nautiloids responsible?

Original report

2. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Interesting article. But don't you think that's more of a gastropod mode of attack? Then again, how do nautiloids eat?

3. Phil

Could well be John. Octopus certainly leave drill holes in shells, I'm not sure how similar the radula was on a nautiloid to that of octopus though. They probably pretty much ate anything smaller than them and scurrying I'd imagine. Ordovician trilobites needed their defensive spines for some reason, and nautiloids were top predator...

4. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Yeah, that is a good point. The Burgess Shale is full of pointy, spiky forms. Even ancient chitons had some nasty looking spines.

John

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

To chip in here (:grin:) those holes look just like the ones we see in bivalves from our local oyster borer (Lepsiella scobina). It just looks gastropodish to me.

J

6. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

I just had to check the no box. Why would anything spend the time to drill into a brachiopod? There is nothing (very little anyway) inside!

7. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Probably not...

While it could be a nautiloid, The holes don't seem right. Cephalopods drill bivalve shells in order to inject a venom that will kill or atleast nearly kill the animal inside, put them pull the shell and eat from the opened shell. This means that the hole needs to only be a pin prick. drilling as small of whole as you need with a radula will generally produce an oval drill. These holes seem to be more rounded and larger than one would expect from a hole merely intended for venom injection. This appears to be more like a gastropod drill, which feed through the hole rather than pulling the shell. This probably is not gastrood either, however, as drilling gastropods aren't thought to have evolved untill 110 million years ago, formly in the Mesozoic, long after these poor brachiopods met their fate.

8. Jean

ooooooooh the mystery drill!!! I wonder what our photoshop guru's can do with that!!!!

J

9. Phil

10. Jean

Hi Phil,

Got it but it's too big to put on here (it's a 1.34 meg pdf file) I'll email it to you!

J

11. Architeuthoceras

http://www.cephdev.utmb.edu/refdb/pdf/7834.pdf

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/abstract_91970.htm

http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108b&L=conch-l&F=&S=&P=489

http://www.geol.vt.edu/paleo/Kowalewski_etal_2000.pdf

http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=get-document&issn=0883-1351&volume=017&issue=03&page=0292

http://www.geol.vt.edu/paleo/Kowalewski_etal_1998.pdf

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjmfr/1991/28.pdf

http://marine.alaskapacific.edu/octopus/museum.html

It has been a slow day at work so I did this small lit search looking for pictures of shells drilled by a cephalopods. The last link has some pics, though small, its hard to see the shape of the drill hole. Anyone got a picture of a hole drilled by an octopus? Too bad I already voted, I just might change my mind :hmm:

12. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

...nice thread guys!

/clicks to give it a 5-star rating

13. Architeuthoceras

AMIKUQ
    The Giant Octopus in Prince William Sound & Cook Inlet

Near the bottom of the page above is a sketch of a drill hole made by the GPO, looks a little different than those in the brachiopods. Like Taollan said, just a small penetration of the shell is needed. Since the radula of paleozoic nautiloids was somewhat like ammonoids, and that of ammonoids had a more or less distinct similarity to that of octopods I will stand by my no vote. :smile: unless new data proves otherwise :roll:

14. spartacus

spartacus Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

As between them, Jean & Kevin must pretty much know everything I'm going for "no". Not very scientific I know but I'm oddsing it in light of my ignorance.

Keef

15. Jean

MWAHAHAHAHAHA! fooled you all 'cackle':twisted:

Thanks for the kind words Keef but I actually know very little about these prehistoric beasties I just reckon that hole looks like what our whelks do to our clams!!!

J

16. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I was not aware cephs had a radula like other mulluscs, although this should have been evident. Again i learn something new from tonmo.:grad:

17. spartacus

Jean, exactly my point ! Kevin does the old stuff (sorry, and Sir Phil of Folkestone) & you can do the comparisons with the new stuff, so modest.

Keef

18. Architeuthoceras

The only way to know anything at all about the "old stuff" is to study and understand the "new stuff" :grad:

As an aside, Phil, you're the archaeologist, is there a good way to determine that ancient people did'nt drill those holes (other than they were probably not found in an archaeological context and probably were found in a paleontological one)? Maybe i've just seen too many drilled trilobites lately :cyclops:

19. spartacus

Kevin, I've only just noticed that you've been promoted, well done Sir ! :thumbsup:
    Make sure Tony pays the going rate as Phil is apparently on phat bucks :twocents:

Keef

20. Jean

Well, I'm not Phil!!!!!!!!!! nor an archaeologist (although I did do 2 semesters!) but my :twocents: I would think that for a human to drill through would be a waste of time when they could just bash it with a rock or prise it open with flint or other shells. whaddaya reckon?????

J