were can i purchase a baby octopus???

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by nini, Jun 15, 2005.

1. nini

nini Wonderpus Registered

i dont know much about octapuses, but i was wondering were i may be able to purchase, or order a baby octapus.
    im looking for a smaller breed, and friendly aswell.i also would like a breed that lives for a long time.
    soooo, baby octapus,a smaller breed,friendly,long life span.
    please let me know were i can order or purchase one.
    ps, the octapus needs to be small enough to live its life in a tank no bigger then 30 gallons.

2. i got crabs

i got crabs GPO Registered

hi nina, im fairly new to kepping octos but ill try to answer your questions the best i can. seems octopets.com is the best place to get a captive bred octo. they offer bimacs. the staff seems real nice but you have to have a lot of patience as there a small operation and will take a lot of waiting. most mom and pop type petstores will get u an octo but then u run into the problem i have of not knowing what species ect. as for the 30 gal tank most people would recomend a dwarf and as far as life span unfortunetly i believe dwarfs are only about 6 moths total or less and even the mid to large size octos are only 1- maybe 2 yrs. thats about the extent of what i know but alot of the other members on this site are much more knowledgeable and perhaps they can help.

3. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

hi nini what part of the world are you in?

4. nini

im in the us mo

5. a rabid squid

a rabid squid GPO Supporter

www.octopets.com
    it might take a while to get an octopus right now. but the cuttlefish eggs should be hatching soon.

6. nini

thanx, how much do the babys usually cost?
    do u think purchasing eggs would be better?cause they come in 10s, and i dont want that many, i want 1.is the breed California Mudflat a good breed?wut breed do u own?
    also do the eggs hatch on there own, or do they need a parent?
    do octos breed sexually?also, wut is the smallest size tank i can keep an octo in?and wut breed suites this size best? :squidwar:

7. nini

srry 4 all my question,but i dunno any thing about octos lol

8. kaotik

kaotik Pygmy Octopus Registered

you should probably find out some more information about octopuses before you even think about buying one!! If you are not experienced with keeping a saltwater tank, i would NOT start with an octopus. They are not for beginners.

9. nini

im experenced w/ salt water tanks, and im not really looking to buy an octo at the moment(or any time soon)thats why im asking soooo many questions,so i know wut to watch out for,i most certianly will not purchase a ceph of any kind, untill i feel im more educated and prepared,i will research for years if thats how long it takes.i will do all i can to make sure of the octos comfort,and health.i just wanted to know what breed was the best,so that in the future, i would know wut to look for.

10. nini

thanx for ur help though