• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Well Octavius is a she

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
I just shined a flashlight into a tiny hole in the LR that shows through, and I see a bunch of tiny white eggs, which she quickly put her arms over...now I guess I just have to wait. Will there be any way for me to know if these small eggs are fertilized? Its very sad, she was out one day and gone into the den the next, I saw no signs of this coming. I don't know how I'm going to find another hummelincki:-/

EDIT: forgot to add I purchased her in mid Feb...this probably is too long for a female to hold onto the sperm

I keep trying not to ask myself the same question. I actually want to keep all the Caribbean species but still want a separate Hummelincki tank as well.

The best indicator I have seen reported, is to look for black dots (eyes) in the eggs after about 1 week. You might keep a camera handy and shoot a picture anytime she lets you see them since you can blow the picture up larger to get a closer look. I think you are the first to report Hummelincki eggs so please keep up a journal with the developments if these turn out fertile.

It is interesting that she is smaller than 'Tane and female but might not mean anything since Mucktopus reported that there was quite a variation in the sizes of both male and female aculeatus.

No, if you purchased her in mid-March, the eggs could very well be fertile. If you do have an O. hummelincki (and I don't think we have enough information on that species to be sure), it is a small-egged species and it will be very difficult to raise the hatchlings.

Nancy

I have Ron O'Dors email address, maybe I should run an email by him and ask for any advice...I'll wait to confirm if the eggs are fertile...Does anyone know the ballpark time it takes for the embryo dots to show up?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back