• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

well , Im tired of octos

marinerules

Wonderpus
Registered
at least bimacs, ive had one in the past and while they are fun to watch , the one time out of two weeks they decide to venture around.

bimac are too small for my tank which is a 240 ,

im either going to get a vulgaris or even larger species next time

ive had my bimacs probably for 3 or 4 months, and their heads are still not even 2 inches long

i got tired of seeing no activity in my tank so i went to the petstore and bought 7 chromis fish and 4 blue yellow tails damsels.

if they bother him thats fine , if he bothers the fish thats fine,

but at least i have somehting to look at and my company i have over has something to look at when th eoctpous is hiding

Maybe you got into keeping cephs for all of the wrong reasons then.

We keep them and learn about them because we find them interesting, not to "crank" any house guest's attention.

No sympathy from me on this one...don't buy any more octos.

greg

oh

i didnt ask for your sympathy

im not expecting him to be out all the time , im just saying HE hardly ever DOES ANYTHING ,

and im even talking about he wont eat unless i push it in front of him.

and this was before i added the fish

only reason i havent tried the cuttlefish , is because they are more expensive and they arenot as easy to keep in aquaria as octopuses are.

I think im going to trade it in , and get a clownfish , ect, anenomies, like i used to have , where there was all kinds of stuff to watch

The octopuses you have are probably still young. Younger ones dont come out to often. Sometimes they dont start trusting thier environment or keeper until they are older. When this occurs, they are almost out all of the time.

However, these guys may not satisfy what you are looking for in an aquarium pet. So going back to fish, anenomies and such may be a good decision.

I wouldnt fully rule out the cuttlefish option for they seem easier to keep then octos in my opinion. No need to cover any holes or seal the tank. And they are almost always in sight, so you dont have to search or worry about them. I think most octo owners have had thier fair share of freak outs thinking thier octopus is missing/escaped/dead because they cant visually see it at times in which they normally appear, to later find that he was just being shy for the day hiding under a rock.

I think the tone of this thread seemed a little negative because this is a cephalopod forum filled with people who have strong passions for them. And to post to just says im tired of octos, because they are boring would be akin to posting on a 49ers forum stating that you dont like the 49ers...

Anyways..hope your new occupants for your tank will be more satisfying. I wish i had the room for a 240...

marinerules said:
i didnt ask for your sympathy

I wasn't giving any. Please don't order any more cephs...it sounds like they are not your cup of tea.
Coral tanks with anemones, clownfish, and the like can be very beautiful and fun to watch...perhaps more along your taste !
greg

Going to have to side with Greg on this too Kirtis.

Its been quite a while since you first started trying out cephalopods and you always get bored with them within a few weeks, I'd suggest that any octopus or cuttlefish you get would also not hold you attention for very long

You want something really, really impressive? Keep your salt tank and turn it into a reef tank, and then get a much bigger tank in which to start raising American freshwater predators, like gar. Catch them yourself relatively locally, raise them, and have a Dr. No-style environment for these freshwater N. American monsters. Trust me, your guests will be impressed. Alligator gar are an amazingly frightening species to look at.

Or, of course, go with cuttles, as has been recommended before.

erich orser said:
You want something really, really impressive? Keep your salt tank and turn it into a reef tank, and then get a much bigger tank in which to start raising American freshwater predators, like gar. Catch them yourself relatively locally, raise them, and have a Dr. No-style environment for these freshwater N. American monsters. Trust me, your guests will be impressed. Alligator gar are an amazingly frightening species to look at.

Or, of course, go with cuttles, as has been recommended before.

I had a roomate that had a small gar in a 125 gallon tank. It was my favorite fish ever. It wasn't very exciting, it didn't like to move very fast, but it was just so cool. In the year and a half we had that tank, I saw him eat once. He just sucked down a feeder whole. That's the only freshwater fish that I've ever been interested in keeping.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back