Welcome

Gaetan P. said:
well, DO U EAT FISH is stating that they are...I'm just trying to get the facts...

G
yes all is well over here, for some species, its the best its ever been for 10 years i think it could be the water tem, changing

DO_U_EAT_FISH said:
yes all is well over here, for some species, its the best its ever been for 10 years i think it could be the water tem, changing

REALLY??????? What about orange roughy??? Hoki????? The Hoki quota was cut last year! Sealords laid off most of their Dunedin factory staff LAST MONTH due to decreases in quota's.

Whether we like it or not ALL fisheries have an impact in some way, be it bycatch, overfishing, habitat distruction....whatever....and no I don't eat fish or any other seafood.

Check out www.forestandbird.org.nz for the best fish guide which looks at some of the commercial catches and their problems. They're not saying don't eat fish but choose wisely!

I do believe that with adequate knowledge ....which means research we can improve many of the fisheries.

DO_U_EAT_FISH what is your background? Fisher, Fishers Family, Researcher, Interested member of the public???????? What is the basis for your statement above?????? can you back it up with numbers????

FYI I am a grad student in marine science (fisheries)

Cheers

J

NIWA and the gvt of NZ, let the deepsea go down hill thay where making to much money out of over fishing, back then, you had to pay the NZ NIWA and govt money thay, would send you a bill for each kg you're over ,so if you had just little quoter or went over your TAC it was ok,to over fish, you just pay the deemed value to them, SAD BUT ITS TRUE

Well recent research is showing a change in the reproductive status of NZ sole (unfortunately unpublished stuff, we will hopefully get round to publishing it soon). The animals are larger but much more immature than in previous years. This has been shown to be an effect of fishing pressure in other flatfish.

Dare I say it Arrow Squid! (My area!) are typically reproductively overfished. It has to do with the way squid reproduce, right at the end of their lives, so they tend to be caught before they get a chance to breed (This is true of any squid fishery, the world over!)there is also bycatch of NZ Sealion in the southern trawl fishery (although here the fishers are experimenting with escapement hatches on the trawl nets yay!).

To be fair, many of the local fishers are willing to try new techniques to mitigate the effects of fishing (course many insist on doing things the way gran'paw did!). In the Golden Bay Scallop fishery, fishers have a system similar to farmers where areas are closed and left to lie "fallow" for a while, plus they reseed with artificially reared spat.

But there are still problems and I guess no system is ever going to be perfect.

I could go on but I'm on duty at the aquarium, & I s'pose I should go do some work!!

Cheers

J

DO_U_EAT_FISH said:
NIWI and the gvt of NZ, let the deepsea go down hill thay where making to much money out of over fishing, back than, you had to pay the NZ NIWI and govt money thay, would send you a bill for each kg over ,so if you had little quoter or went over your TAC...........it was ok but you have to pay us...... SAD BUT ITS TRUE

I reiterate....who are you?????? At least I know who the NIWA scientists are and what their training is and where they get their facts from?? Oh mystery person!

J

Jean said:
I reiterate....who are you?????? At least I know who the NIWA scientists are and what their training is and where they get their facts from?? Oh mystery person!

J
sorry my name is jason yes i have the facts i have every (seafood new zealand for professional fisherman) magazines dateing back to 1996! yes i also have a bit to do with this industry, peace :smile:

:alarm:

A little too much tension here.

Do_U_Eat_Fish - I'm really glad to have you here, honest, and I really am impressed that you came back and responded to a number of members online (basically it tells me that you weren't spamming, actually do have an opinion and are prepared to debate it online, and are a valued member online). Heck, in the NZ Fishing Industry I can do with whatever friend I can find - and in all honesty I have no problem with commercial fishing - what I am against is bottom trawling!

You do say that ~ 90% of Earth is ocean. True. But different species live at different depths. If you have experience with fishing, and I believe you do, correct me if I am wrong - you're either fishing 350-650m, 650-1100m, or 1100-1500m. If you have trawled for scampi or hoki you will notice one type of bycatch (typically soft-sediment); if you have trawled for orange roughy you will have noticed another type of bycatch (hard ground, basically today); if you have trawled for dories you will notice yet another kind of bycatch. This is because different species occupy different depth ranges. Presently, to the best of my knowledge, there are no commercially viable fisheries stocks at depths greater than 1500m. If there were you would notice a completely different kind of bycatch.

An argument made by the fishing industry (in NZ) is that most of the ocean is not fished, because (by default) it is too deep. HOWEVER, it has a completely different type of bycatch (fauna), so in effect you are not conserving or protecting anything at shallower depth.

I sincerely do want you to stay online, and to contact anyone you know and to get them online too. I want to bounce ideas off you. I do not want to try and convert you to my way of thinking (but at the same time you'll not convert me to yours). Some of the things that you have said already have been very true; some, of course, might raise the hairs on the back of my neck .... but if you know me, or know of some of the things that I have said or done, that should not come as any surprise.

So, what I want to do now is send you a warm and sincere :welcome: , and request that you become a regular poster on this (and any) forum.

If you saved me squid or octopus, sure I'd be excited. I'd also be upset that the animals were killed, albeit inadvertently, and would probably have to say something to this effect. It is a double-edged sword, and this is what has landed me in hot water with the industry. I am passionate about conservation - you need to eek out a living however you can (or are experienced).

Aquaculture is the future!

:twisted: ok thanks steve tell me if the fishing is so bad in new zealand why is NIWA or QMS allocating a 10% increase in quoter (ACE) for terakhi (TAR) lower north island ,its that true??? if so. why are NWIA or QMS doing that when you said ( oceans are empty, the coral gone, and generally things are grim) .hmmmmm its funny you say that! ..... i think you just proved something to me............ tell me if im wrong plz thanks :smile:

It's late and I could respond this eve, but I'd sooner do morrow when I have some facts (numbers) on hand.

I don't think it is like increasing the TACC for ORH off NE NZ, when we have no reliable stock estimates (to compensate for loss of fisheries elsewhere). Perhaps coastal resources are increasing .... but what sort of TACC increase (tonnage) are you talking about?

Years ago I don't recall ever eating terakhi. In fact my wife said to me tonight that she didn't like that very fish (for its taste).

I don't eat fish personally (unless I caught it myself), but I don't try and impose my ideals on my wife (she'd hit me if I did - though she is very careful in what fish she does eat .... perhaps to avoid the endless debate).

thanx matt, i think NAWI should take the blame not the fishos, hmmmm its simple, the deemed fish law that "MAF (NIWI)" brought in Devasted the fishing QMS more than anything or anyone, I wonder where there scientist were back then ?? probley looking for that squid! cheers guys :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back