Welcome to the Octopus Care Q&A Forum

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Reaction score
Marine Biology;132983 said:
Biannually.
AM meant how often do you clean the tank, do a water change, check the water chemistry. Surely you don't mean you do those things only TWICE A YEAR?!?! For any salt water tank, this should be done every couple of weeks, with an octo it is religious once a week maintenance. It doesn't mean breaking down the whole tank, but exchanging 10% of the water and cleaning out debris must be a regularly scheduled part of care for ANY TANK!

Marine Biology

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we bought the briareus and it is doing just fine in our 20 gallon tank. It is eating well but doesn't seem to come out of hiding very much. In fact it doesn't do much moving at all.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The inactivity could be greatly due to the temperature. 70 is cold for a Caribbean animal but with the small tank I am not sure how much you dare raise it. I would not exceed 75 if you decide to experiment. This seems to be the time of year where a larger number of Caribbean Octopuses are reaching the end of thier lives and brooding new young. It may be that your is beginning into senescence.

Marine Biology

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
OH NO! NOT SENESCENCE! And we just named our octopus too. :( How do I keep him alive? This is terrible. Any tips?

gmcbride

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I am also at the setting up stage of a tank that will be for our local O. bimac. One idea I have been considering is to set my overflow about 15 cm below the lid. It would allow the tank to look like a tide pool; some rocks could be above water level for shore crabs (food). The main thing is it would be nearly (I never say always about an octopus) impossible to escape from the top. The overflow will have to be correctly done. But otherwise it seems like this will greatly simplify a number of issues, hot lights, escape...escape.
Have any of you tried this approach?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've sent our last poster on this thread a pm asking him to please repost in Tank Talk. I didn't notice that so many posts were being added to this thread, which is really just a thread to introduce the forum. After the last thread (by gmcbride) is reposted, I will lock this thread.

Please try to start new threads when topics change - this helps people find your very valuable posts when searching for a topic.

I'll post a new, updated introduction to the forum, too,

Nancy

Slaanesh

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
um... im 14 in MD and i dont know what would be easier to take care of?(and by easier to take care of i mean a cuttlefish or a octopus) could i get some ideas please. thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan37

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards