Welcome to the Octopus Care Q&A Forum

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
There are also very interesting shrimp that can see more colors than humans and have been compared to octopus in intelligence. You may want to look into mantis shrimp to see if they interest you and your project partner.

bluespotocto

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I am just getting ready to get a bimac for christmas. I need to know where i can get some live and frozen food for the octo? Also how often are you sopuse to feed the little guy.
THanks

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The most reliable source, by far, for most members who are inland has been Paul Sachs for live fiddlers and shore shrimp. For frozen shrimp, we use Public's (best fresh we have found close by) but if you have an Asian food market, you are likely to find a better selection and the freshest raw that you can then freeze.

Marine Biology

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The aquarium will be far too small for a briareus. Please read fully through this journal to understand the size tank requirements for this animal.

Unfortunately, the only octopus suited to a small tank would be a dwarf species and the only commonly available ones are either nocturnal (mercatoris, also Caribbean) or a blue ring (deadly poisonous, Australian). It would be a good idea to ask your teacher (or read and print some of the info) to read through the octopus care articles (see link in menu at the very top) to help the class find an appropriate animal for the tank or build out an appropriate aquarium for the animal.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Marine Biology;132915 said:
What would be the result of putting such an octopus in the tank I suggested? (29 gallons)
Water quality issues, cramped in small space. You do understand that an O. briareus grows to about a 4 foot arm span? A standard rectangular 29 gallon tank is about 30 inches across. The 29 gallon biocube is almost half that, deeper, but still just not big enough for the long term (which is actually short term considering the growth rate/lifespan of the creature). In a year mine has grown from about 1.5 inches to at least 40 inches across.

Octopuses create about 3 times more waste than a similarly sized fish.

So, all humane things considered, it's just not fair to the animal.

What is the care/maintenance routine for the aquarium itself?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan37

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards