• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Weird GPO Behavior

Severine

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello Tonmoers!

I am reaching out for a colleague about a weird behavior they have noticed with their GPO. This animal has been seen on the bottom of an exhibit, upside down with arms in the air, writhing along the bottom. I have never seen this behavior as well, so what better place to ask than here! It's happened about 3 times over the last week or so. My colleague is trying to determine if this is just an octopus being weird, just has an itch or if this could be an indicator that something is wrong. Water quality seems to be fine.

Thanks guys for your advice/input. I know it can be really easy to freak out over things like this so I appreciate any help you can provide. Rather be safe and ask then sorry.

Best!

Thanks for posting this, Severine - it's been a while! Not sure about the upside-down part but maybe it was sucker cleaning? From our video archive (believe that's O. vulgaris):

Tweeted this out for maximum viewage...

Thanks for the reply. It's not sucker cleaning, I wish it was though! It kinda looks like it is pushing itself along the bottom of the exhibit, arms are kind of everywhere. Very strange. It's almost like he can't right himself, but then does. If I can get permission to post the video I got, I will.

It does look similar, though I can't tell how the eyes look in the video I have. As far as I am aware, he is behaving normally other than this action. This is probably a really dumb question, but what signs and behaviors did you experience for an eye infection?

If I had to guess, 2.5-3 years. I do wonder if somehow the statocyst was damaged either during capture and/or transport. It doesn't seem to be a constant behavior, it's pretty irregular. Concerning all the same.

To give an update: it seems to be increasing in frequency. It’s happened at least once a day over the last 4 days. I’m at a loss. I still think it may be damage to the statocyst, so I am going reach out to a physiologist I know as well. Thank you to everyone who has reached out.

Attachments

• 0F97E75C-3342-4EDF-B12A-D382C408605D.jpeg
    0F97E75C-3342-4EDF-B12A-D382C408605D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 4E8E03E5-E6AF-4A50-AEB0-F9145FA9299D.mov
    17 MB · Views: 89
To give an update: it seems to be increasing in frequency. It’s happened at least once a day over the last 4 days. I’m at a loss. I still think it may be damage to the statocyst, so I am going reach out to a physiologist I know as well. Thank you to everyone who has reached out.

Pretty certain this is end of life behavior. Mine did this as she neared the end of her time. Also talking to another octopus owner over here she mentioned that this is a sign of age.
Hopefully I'm wrong as it's always sad but this has been my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back