• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

Paradox;97032 said:
Cuttlegirl, thales - What temperature are you running your tanks?

My temperature is usually around 74 F, but today (it's 90+ outside) it's about 77 F. I think the other factor in my cuttle's longetivity may be that most of the food I feed my cuttles is live. I rarely feed frozen krill and that is only when I have run out of live shrimp for some reason...

My temp is usually between 78 and 80.

I'm with Jennifer and think lots of live food is the key. I started with freshwater ghost shrimp till the cuttles were big enough to move to bait shrimp. The only frozen mine get are frozen bait shrimp.

cuttlegirl;97020 said:
All of my cuttlefish tolerated touching. Baby A (the female) is the only one who really seemed invite being touched.

Cuddly is still going strong, has now spent 13 months with me.

I have been amazed at some of the animals that seem to enjoy petting. for example I was at the Cincinnati aquarium this weekend (no cuttlefish, darn :sad: ) and they had a shark petting pool. I figured with sharks, they wouldn't care one way or another but some DID seem to like it. they would repeatedly stop were people were, and there was one that would move to another group if the people he was by stopped petting him.

I have also petted lizards that would actually lean into you if you gave them a good scratch on there side.
interesting stuff.

BigRed,
It may be that the sharks enjoyed the "taste" of humans (I have read that most don't though) and that the lizard was shedding. My iguana loves to be scratched when she sheds and has dry itchy skin but is not so keen to be petted after a recent shedding. She will, however, sit on my shoulder and rub her head gently under my chin most any time.

Cuddly is still hanging in there. He seems to be having some buoyancy issues, I think he is positively buoyant but it is hard to tell. His cuttlebone seems to be pulling him upward, but he is hanging out under some rocky ledges.

I am going to do a water change (already cleaned the protein skimmer) and see if it makes a difference.

Goodbye little guy...

:cry: Cuddly died this morning. My five year old went to pet him and discovered he was dead. Her comment was, "He can't be dead, he's floating, dead people sink..." I let her take him out of the water and we will bury all three cuttles later today. He was probably 15 months old (I had him for 14 months and three weeks).

:sad: :cuttlego: you had a great cuttle clan, and I'm glad you were able to keep them healthy, happy, and fertile for such a long time... RIP

Sorry to hear that.

When you say the cuttle bone was pulling him you do you mean that literally, or was there a gap between his head and the top of the mantle?
I lost one 2 weeks ago and I knew he was going to go that day because of the space between his head and the top of the mantle. Below is a pic.
I still have two from the same group left, but I have to hand feed them because they are too uncoordinated to catch food, live or dead.

There was a gap between the head and the mantle, just like your photo, only bigger. He would either cling to the rocks or let his mantle touch the underneath of a rock ledge. I think he was positively buoyant and was trying not to rise to the top of the tank. I didn't see him feed for the last two days, but I was still supplying him with live shrimp.

Of course, I ordered 200 shrimp, which shipped out yesterday:roll:. anybody in the Pittsburgh area need salt water feeder shrimp???

Cuttlegirl,
I have looked forward to post about these three and will miss the photos, observations and notes. I hope Winkin (I discovered that it was Blinkin that died over the weekend) will successfully become an adult but worry that she won't live as long because she is alone. I know Cuddly did well by himself but he had companionship most of his life and I have noted that others trying to raise only one don't seem to do as well as those raised in small groups.

I hope you are planning on raising more. Good night Cuddly

cuttlegirl;97882 said:
:cry: Cuddly died this morning. My five year old went to pet him and discovered he was dead. Her comment was, "He can't be dead, he's floating, dead people sink..." I let her take him out of the water and we will bury all three cuttles later today. He was probably 15 months old (I had him for 14 months and three weeks).

this is the first thread I read fully here and is one reason I got interested in this forum. poor little guy, well actually he seems to have had a nice long life for a cuttle. nice to know that his progeny have gone far and wide. (read the thread about baby A's eggs too) hope you have the chance to care for more cuttlefish. :cuttlehi: they will be in good hands.

Well, I completely overhauled the system in the last couple days and everyone made it through fine, even the two old me.

I have been feeding them by hand or by some long tweezers. Today one of the old fogies grabbed the tweezers instead of the shrimp and we got into a tug of war. He did not want to let go! When I pulled him up to the surface he sprayed me with an astonishing amount of water. :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back