*waves shyly* um...hi?

long live spiders!

Two: I didn't know so many people were so obsessive (although I'm not to sure how manywolf spiders are named matilda... I don't ask, I squish them)

No ! No! No! You can't squish wonderful glorious wolf spiders!!! They're sooooo cute!
:mad:

If you squish wolf spiders, how will you be able to enjoy the music when the entire pack congregates to howl at the moon?

"Listen to them, the children of the night...how I love the music they make..."
Dracula

i had a bat once for a pet when i was kid. caught it myself. until my mom saw it and i got the lecture on rabies. (i was a dum kid) anywhoo i had it only a few hours to observe it then brought it to these woods by my house and let it go. i do agree that there preety cool animals too. by the way any kids out there who may b reading i dont recomend going out and catching a bat. thats bad. well now u know. and knowing is half the ... ugh nevermind. this is so un ceph related.

Everyone else is chiming in, so....

Good scotch
Good beer
welding
anything that swims
women
learning
food, food, food
work (it's how I keep the food from collecting on my person)
music
woodworking
Italian motorcycles
Aston Martins
coconuts
raw fish
coconuts with raw fish
cooking for huge numbers of people

Not Really Ceph Related, but...

Hi I Got Crabs,

Yes, Bats are definitely not good choices for pets. For more information regarding bats and rabies, go to Bat Conservation International's website at www.batcon.org. A lot of what has been popularly believed over the last half-century about bats and rabies turns out not to have been true. Scientists studying captive bats and their effects on lab mice misidentified mouse pox - which produces rabies-like symptoms - as rabies and concluded that bats could be indefinite carriers of the dread disease without succumbing themselves. Well, bats can and do carry mouse pox, which is fatal to mice, but not to the bats or to humans. Although any mammal can contract rabies, it kills bats just as surely as it kills anything else. There were rabies-eradication efforts as a result of these faulty studies that resulted in entire beneficial wild colonies of bats being wiped-out. The truth is that you are many times more likely getting killed by a dog, deer, getting struck by lightning, etc., than being attacked by a rabid bat. Why the disproportionate coverage of the odd bat-related rabies case? It makes for better-selling press. Less than one-half of one percent of bats carry rabies, less than raccoons, feral cats, dogs, or rodents. Sorry for this tangent; I'm a hardened bat-freak!

Anyway, back to the existing thread!

:thumbsup: Good stuff - my sister is a bat-head as well, and rehabilitated a family of Big Brown Bats (great common name) as part of a high school service project (assisting the local wildlife rehab people). They were pretty cool, although I never got into the live-mealworm-feeding sessions... just a little too crunchy and gross for my liking. :yuck:

Attachments

• conv_288120.jpg
    conv_288120.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 115
They taste like buttered toast....had them down in Mexico a few times...yum !

greg (mealworms, not bats...bats taste like peregrine falcons)

don't think i've ever heard of people keeping microchiroptera for more than a few days (unless the bat was injured/orphaned and needed care). but there are a few stories of folks keeping flying foxes or other megachiroptera for years. i don't know if that's considered acceptable, or even if it's legal, but i've definately read about it.

and yes, i also love bats! and rats! i love all animals, now that you mention it. (except maybe scorpions, they scare the heck out of me...:goofysca:)

no pet rats here, though. bloody farmers own the whole province. :mad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back