• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Water Tests...

Hi, I was wondering what the CORRECT levels are for each of these when I use my water test kit:

pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, copper and oxygen

I know pH should be between 7.9 and 8.2 and I know there should be NO COPPER in my tank.

Also, how would I lower or higher these levels if they ever become too low or high?
ThanX!

pH... i aim for 8.2 you need to get a buffer and that will stop the pH slipping, also regular water changes replace trace elements.

ammonia - zero and active mature filter will keep that

nitrite - as above

nitrate - aim for below 50ppm and regular partial water changes will see to that.

phosphate - as above.. water changes!!! or possible phosphate removal sponges/media

calcium - this should never need adjusted in a ceph tank as you have regular water changes... dont worry about it!

oxygen level should be as high as possible, so check your test kit and make sure you have plenty of surface agitation in the tank.

As long as copper is nil and that the tank has been maturing for a while and that the pH is stable above 8 then chances are a ceph will be fine :smile:

Colin said:
pH... i aim for 8.2 you need to get a buffer and that will stop the pH slipping, also regular water changes replace trace elements.

ammonia - zero and active mature filter will keep that

nitrite - as above

nitrate - aim for below 50ppm and regular partial water changes will see to that.

phosphate - as above.. water changes!!! or possible phosphate removal sponges/media

calcium - this should never need adjusted in a ceph tank as you have regular water changes... dont worry about it!

oxygen level should be as high as possible, so check your test kit and make sure you have plenty of surface agitation in the tank.

As long as copper is nil and that the tank has been maturing for a while and that the pH is stable above 8 then chances are a ceph will be fine :smile:

THANX SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be looking forward to it!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back