• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Water Quality Tests

maplichen

Cuttlefish
Registered
With my cuttlefish tank I conduct regular testing for Salinity, pH, Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite as well as CO2 and O2 levels. I have good biological and mechanical filtration so I rarely see any issues with these, but I was curious if anyone here with a cephalopod tank keeps track of any other water quality measurements that I may be currently neglecting, or observes day/night swings with their setups. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks, I do keep track of temperature but I still really appreciate the reply. I'm actually lucky enough to have a temperature controlled room so the water temp stays consistent with the air but it's still important to regularly verify so thanks.

If you don't already have one. I bought a cheap $2 digital thermometer off eBay, and it was mailed for 2 bucks. Mainly cause it was from overseas. My tank room is controlled temp to, but the tank gets to 77 when the room is actually at 75. Probably my pumps, as I've been testing the temp differences with lights on and lights off. Tank stays at 77 with lights on, but 74-75 with lights off. I don't plan on having the lights on the tank while the Octopus is in it. Except for feeding time maybe moonlights or just a flashlight with a piece of red vellum.

Hi QueenB, yes I've observed pretty much the exact same trend as you although I keep mine significantly cooler for Officinalis (66-67 in tanks). The sump pump runs a little warm so I always just figured it was that making up the difference but it stays consistent over time.

Yea I'm saving up for a chiller at the same time traveling money to see my son's graduation from the army next month. So excited. But glad I'm taking my time, before finally getting my Octo. I shut my lights off completely and only turned them on to view the tank, for 4 - 5 days straight, and the temp was still 75, so I'm safe, but still want a chiller. Better safe then sorry in my book. I think the sump pumps are the cause for it to still stay that warm, but not bad considering it only being 75 degrees, and 77 with the lights on 12 out of 24 hours. Tested it both ways. Cutting the plexi glass this week. Which is going to be tricky to get around the RSM 250 hinges. But I want a polished look, and I have all the time in the world. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back