• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Water Changes

Ok, so a better system is in the works. I've procured 3 50 gallon tanks that don't leak, and I will be making mesh lids for them. I have people at the marine center helping me build a closed system for them that hooks into a bio filter, a carbon filter, and a UV filter. I have a big plastic bucket for my sump.

Does anyone have any suggestions for moving them? Because of the limited space, the new, big tanks have to go where the current ones are now. But I wanted to give the new set-up a couple of days to cycle. Unless I can find a place to move the tanks to, I don't know if this will be possible. But to move the tanks do you think it would be ok to put them in buckets? It wouldn't be for more than a few hours, just enough time to either get the new tanks in and cycling or to move and refill the old tanks somewhere else.

Also, I was going to hold off on feeding them when we were to move them. The set-up should be finished by Friday. Should I hold off on feeding them? Or feed them tomorrow anyway? I just thought there might be less waste contamination during their move when their changing tanks.

Buckets are fine. When I moved to RI from WI, I had all my fish in buckets for about 10 days. Put a big piece of live rock or two in each bucket: not only will it keep the octo happy, it will go a long way for filtration.

A few days really isn't enough time. It usually takes weeks to establish a biofilter. You need a source of nitrogen-loving bacteria and you need them now. Two options:

1) Buy a bunch of fully-cured live rock. Your octos are small; if you got about 50 lbs you should be OK if you watch the ammonia like a hawk. Live rock is pretty expensive, but there are usually price breaks for buying it in volume.

2) See if you can get a "used" biofilter. Try to find someone with a couple gallons of freshly used bioballs they're getting rid of. For this you might talk to an LFS or find the local hobby club.

Either of these will give you enough bacteria to seed the filter in a shorter-than-usual time. Otherwise it sounds like a pretty good plan, the 50s should be just fine.

Don't forget to post pictures of the little guys--we promise they won't show up in publication :smile:

Dan

I will post some pictures soon. We are currently trying to track down the bioballs we had used previously, but they seem to have disappeared. We had used them to filter a tank that was meant for cuttlefish (but one came in sick and inked and at the time we didn't have quarantine tanks set up...). If we can't find those, we will have to start with new ones. You say weeks? Hmm...I will have to see if I can keep the octos where they are until then maybe. If I can keep them in the other lab while the new system cycles for a bit, that might work until I get back in August. I will have to see.

For used bioballs to work they pretty much have to be moved directly out of the old system: once they dry out, the bacteria dies.

It takes time for a population of bacteria to grow to the point where they can handle the ammonia load of the animals. Any water changes done in that time to save the lives of the animals tend to prolong the cycle. Taking bioballs out of someone elses filter or buying a bunch of live rock essentially transplants an already established bacteria population.

cycle_faq.gif

Ok, so if I got some live rock (where does one get that? and just how expensive is it? I have a limited budget.) and let the system cycle for...let's say...most of July...would that be ok to introduce them at the beginning of August? Or do you think it would be better for me to put them in this weekend (even though the tank is not yet cycled/established)? If I did that, does anyone have any idea how the water changes/upkeep should go (timing wise) until it is established?

Live rock is the cornerstone of the modern aquarium hobby. You can get it from any good fish shop, generally between $5 and $8 per pound. Look for pieces that have interesting shapes and lots of caves. Look for the piece with the most purple color that you can get: its a sign of good, cured rock.

If I were you I'd get about 50 lbs. Since that might be outside your budget, you could probably get by with 25 lbs. Going this route I think you would be fine to put the octos in around the beginning of August.

Dan

I think if you could make this situation known to people with reef tanks in the area, they might donate some cycled live rock, live sand, or bioballs.

If you tell me where you are (what city - PM me if you like), I'll see if I can find any organization of reef keepers near you. You might also approach aquarium stores.

Nancy

Here's what I found near Biddeford, Maine for listings for aquarium clubs.

Fish Club Memberline, RR4 Box 358B, Gardiner,, Maine, 04345, [email protected].
Contact Stephanie Heath at above postal address

Maine State Aquarist Society, 218 Westbrook St., So. Portland, ME, 04106, phone 207-774-3474.
Meetings:Meetings are the 2nd Thursday of each month at 6:30 PM and are held at the Biddeford UNE campus in the Decary Hall building. Dues:$20. per year for family

Maine State Aquarium Society, P.O. Box 487, N. Berwick, ME, 03906.

University of New England Aquarium Club, Biddeford, ME, phone (207) 283-0170 X2660, [email protected].
Contact: Dom DiNatale (President). Meetings: Decary 216 Univ. of New England 7:00pm.

Thanks eveyrone. I was able to take some good, cycled bio balls from my academic advisor (she's been keeping clownfish). And i put some in the bio filter. I've got the tanks up and running, and water quality looks good so cross your fingers.

Good work! Remember even with a few bioballs it will take some time to cycle. Make sure you've got some sort of ammonia source in there and test-test-test!

Dan

Liverock can be bought in bulk prices FAR cheaper online than at any LFS. I would recommend Saltwaterfish.com and DrsFosterSmith.com as good starting places. Really, if you just search for liverock online you are bound to find someplace that is dealing in liverock and you can compare prices then. It shouldn't take more than an hour at most to find the best deal for what you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back