• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

water changes-how do you change the water in your tank?

drakanorn

GPO
Registered
the only thing that stands between me and my own octopus is the fact that my parents dont think i could do the 10% water changes weekly or 20% biweekly

how do you change your water without getting any droplets on the floor?

are the water changes relay necessary?

any ideas for convincing them?

iv spent a year researching and looking forward to this and i dont intent to give it up just because they dont think i could do the water changes without making a mess...:mad:

The only way to really minimize a mess is to lay a tarp down before you start to work, and then to work meticulously, having towels on hand. IMO, no matter how hard you try, you will always get water on the floor at some point. However, getting droplets on the floor shouldn't matter because if you clean them up right away they are no problem - even on hard wood.

Water changes are critical to your aquarium. Don't even consider skipping them.

Lay a number of big fluffy towels on the floor around the stand and you should be alright. Having a little strength and dexterity is important if you're pouring water into the tank using buckets. After a little practice you won't lose more than a few drops here or there during a water change. The real problems are experienced by people who don't bother to 'balance' their sump capacity.

Dan

Yes, water changes are important. You can do 10% every week, or 20% every two weeks, but you need to do them.

I've found an even better solution than tarps or towels. Drs. Foster and Smith sell an aquarium cleaning mat, on sale now for $10.39, absorbs eight time its weight in water and is protected on the bottom so it won't leak through. I liked mine so well I bought a second one - easy and convenient, very light, too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Nancy

drkanorn,
The Python system will help remove water but not add the saltwater so it may help with half the mess if you will use it regularly. IMO getting out the hose, connecting it and letting it drain would be more trouble than most people would bother with and the thing would start collecting dust after a couple of uses.

Saltwater tanks are messy and I haven't met anyone who would say otherwise. All tanks require water changes but saltwater poses more of a problem because of the salt. The best answer is, as Thales mentioned, immediate cleanup and as everyone else mentioned, protection of sensitive articles.

All you have to use is a line of 1/2-3/4 inch PVC pipe and a 10(ish) gallon trash can and just take water out that way. It's easy and fast. Cleaning a canister filter on the other hand, while relatively easy, can make quite the mess.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back