wanted O vulgaris

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by reverhart, Sep 14, 2011.

1. reverhart

reverhart Blue Ring Registered

I've been looking on the Web, and LFS in california probably don't have Vulgaris

Anyone have any leads to places selling the larger octopus--for a 240 gallon tank

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

We will see them start to show up in mid October. this is when stonecrab season starts and the only known reliable source for these guys Tom Caribbean Tropicals, gets them from the stone crabbers.however like with any vendor there is still no guarantee you will get one.

3. reverhart

thanks

thanks--but his website says closed till November!!!
    guess I could go get one myself---
    from what I understand--you can bring live fish onboard an airplane in a cooler full of water, as long as the creature is alive (therefore TSA knows the water is water not a bomb I guess)

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

LOL, I can just see the face on the TSA agent now. "Its a what?!"
    You might be better off fedexing or air freighting it to yourself.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

If you do try to bring one back, be sure to relate your TSA experience AND be prepared to miss a flight.:grin: I have only brought live rock and softies back (I did not collect them) by car. My one attempt at bringing back week old O. briareus hatchlings failed but we had car trouble and have a better idea of trying to transport them, so I would try it again if the opportunity presented itself and shipping was not an option (IMO, it is not with hatchlings).

6. reverhart

Not sure if I'll do it, I fly every week for work, and I'm pretty savy going through security

what you ahve to do it call ahead of time, and ask to talk to the TSA supervisor, and tell them your coming through with a live fish,etc --they may ask if you have permits, or a fish store receipt, etc

they will not x-ray the bag of water/ cooler of water, etc but will hand inspect it, and will need to see something alive in the water--such as a fish swimming around (not sure how this would work with corals)

there is a provision in the liquid carry-on policy that allows this

but call first so they can expect it coming through--they might even tell you what security checkpoint to go through

I've never done it, but just researched it

7. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

What about the individual airlines? You mentioned permits as well, what permits would you need?

8. reverhart

some places require collecting permits-- others don't
    I don't have a list-- would have to look into harvesting things from the reef in a particular area prior to doing it