Wanted: Cephalopod beak

That was my first idea, however, fish markets around here don't seem to sell octopus or squid. Those I do occasionally see are already cleaned without the beak.

Thank You

I have a rather small squid beak I, er, "dissected" out of some "squid with spicy salt" dish at a Chinese seafood restaurant. If you have a local Asian market, that might be a good place to look, or even asking at a seafood restaurant or sushi bar if they could give you one, which might be cheaper, preferable if you don't want to eat the squid, and wouldn't have the beak cooked (or salted or spiced).

Thanks for the feedback. I actually work at an aquarium and would use the beak as a "learning experience" for visitors. I would prefer to have a beak mailed from somewhere in the US. If not, I might check out a seafood restaurant.

Thanks

Shadow Mantis;95345 said:
Thanks for the feedback. I actually work at an aquarium and would use the beak as a "learning experience" for visitors. I would prefer to have a beak mailed from somewhere in the US. If not, I might check out a seafood restaurant.

Thanks

Which one? Does the aquarum buy in fish food? Perhaps you can prevail upon them to buy some whole squid. We do (we also use it in our education prgrammes for school and public dissections! www.otago.ac.nz/marinestudies). The squid make really good food for many of the critters (a bit messy when you're feeding out though :biggrin2:).

Cheers

J

Yes, I work at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It never crossed my mind to ask one of the aquarists for a beak (they do use squid frequently). This summer, I actually might be working behind the scenes doing enrichment and food preparation (including our GPO).

Thanks Again Everyone

Shadow Mantis;95376 said:
Yes, I work at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It never crossed my mind to ask one of the aquarists for a beak (they do use squid frequently). This summer, I actually might be working behind the scenes doing enrichment and food preparation (including our GPO).

Thanks Again Everyone

That's OK, I didn't look to see where you were from before asking!! The only reason I thought of asking your husbandry team is that in our aquarium we don't have separate teams for each aspect (we're much too small!!!!) so I have done my share of food prep and know that whole squid is a good food, and we use it a lot, along with other fish etc!!!

I'd love to see some pics of your GPO work........and the aquarium......and the other critters..........and........ :biggrin2:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back